NAD: Egnater content

smudge_lad

• Members

I looked at those heads, am currently auditioning the Rebel 30 (still within the 30 day return window at GC) and enjoying it. It has one problem (a little crackle when rapidly turning the gain) but otherwise providing some absolutely terrific sounds through a Vox Nightrain 212 cab.

A number of postings on HC concerned me (and still do) re: durability, but then, I'm not gigging and tend to treat things very well.

I tried the Tweaker 40 and Rebel 30 in the store, preferred the Rebel and took it home, but thought both were terrific little amps. While the aptly-named Tweaker has several more options, my one and only quibble so far with the Rebel is the XLR-only record-out line. I had thought it was a combo 1/4"/XLR jack, and the lazy part of me objects ... hardly a significant issue.

Oh - how does it sound? Wonderful. From sweet, bell ringing cleans to chunky dirt, it covers a lot of ground. Part of the amp's sonic profile is the "tube blend," which lets you choose how much of the signal you send through some 6L6's (6V6's? Must learn new gear ...) or EL84's; it's a rotary blend, both are present and active in both channels. Some have criticized this "all things to all ears" approach, claiming it 'doesn't sound the same as a Fender/Marshall/Vox' .... no, it doesn't. I have Fender and Vox amps, thanks; if I want those sonic profiles I will use them.

No, it sounds like an Egnater: rich, responsive, and - can't remember using this word to describe an amp in ages - fun. With the size and tweakability (even the Rebel has a plethora of options) I have plugged it into my '78 Peavey Classic's speakers (yum!), an old crappy 112 Eminence ... direct-to-TASCAM DP008, and into the TASCAM via a Presonus preamp (don't ask, I have no idea what I was thinking). Lots of tonal variation.

A couple of observations so far:

1. Despite it's billing, a part of me doubts whether this would be useful for any club-size gig (smaller venues like an open blues jam, sure). Not a volume thing (it can get loud); just seems a tiny bit on the fragile side, visually (e.g., small switches that look like they could easily get bent/snapped if dinged). I also haven't had to really fight over a band mix with it, though it does have a full 4-8-16 selector and two outputs.

2. The tube blend thingie is more of a gimmick until you reach a certain (louder) volume level. I don't see that as a drawback for low-volume playing but more of an upside to when you hoist the decibels, but YMMV.

3. Like most gear, you need to spend a little time to get to know it. Some of the lukewarm reviews I've read indicate that the purchaser wanted to turn it on, press a "Marshall Stack" button, and have that jump out of (any old/the) speakers. Maybe I'm old and this is the result of the instant gratification, POD-conditioned generation? A little time spent on the dials revealed some exquisite sounds.

4. Something's up, channel-wise; I am far, far past caring about any politics of this, but when I asked the guy at Mr. Music in Boston if he carried their stuff, he said "nope - it's a Guitar Center line." And he's not very averse to carrying a range of stuff ... my only concern is that in five years, support will have vanished.

I am beginning to fall in like with my Rebel; hope to love it.

• Members

I had the rebel 30 for a good amount of time. Played it at med-large venues throughout NYC and recording sessions. It's more than durable to handle the abuse. Hell I dropped it out my car while it was in the soft case an it rolled. Plugged it in and it was more than fine. Sold it to my bud who uses it everyday and at gigs. Still kicking.

I don't like the tweaker though

• Members

Good to know about the durability. I look at those little metal throw switches on the front and the two wattage-starvation dials and think: "one with the headstock and there they go ..."

Otherwise really surprised by how much I'm liking it (and how much I convinced myself to spend on it).

• Members

I had a rebel for a little while. It was kinda cool but the sound was a little grainy for my style and I couldn't really seem to get rid of that. I feel like it would be good for more percussive indie rock kinds of sounds. I ended up trying a night train next and found that very harsh so I moved to a dr z and then, after getting my old 67 bassman fixed up, realized that it had a very similar sound to the way iwas using the maz so I sold the maz and now rock a bassman and some amps my tech made (which are phenomenal and half the cost of the maz each).

• Members

I think they suffer from "not being" imitations of other amps. My sense (admittedly very limited over the past decade) is that the modeling craze has had a detrimental impact on people being open to things that ... don't sound like other things. But my little Rebel sure does sound nice. And not to beat a dead horse, but I've got far better ears than fingers -- can't play for {censored}, but could (and have) spent an entire day getting just the right sound on something on projects way back when.

Current living/great room rig: various guitars > Egnater Rebel 30 preamp > [loop] Maxon Phaser > Red Witch Titan > TC Hall of Fame > Egnater Rebel 30 amp > Vox Nightrain 212 cab (stacked vertically in homage to Honeyiscool).

Playing a lot of psych and indie lately, so there's more cleans (with and without FX), but one thing I like is that at volume, I can set up the 2nd channel with just a smidge of dirt and get lots of really pretty things going on.

Addition to note from before: the reverb on it is utterly horrid and useless.

Tom - what's the resistance on the cab you're running it into?

• Members

Nice! Love my Tweaker 88!

Best advice I can give you is EQ with your ears not you eyes. Didn't like the Tweaker series until I talked to Bruce on the phone about it. That was his advice to me. Took it for a weekend spin and I've had it ever since.

Also don't worry on durability. Mines got about 100k miles of touring down so far

• Members

Tweaker?

small-tweaker.gif

• Members

Nice! Love my Tweaker 88!

Best advice I can give you is EQ with your ears not you eyes. Didn't like the Tweaker series until I talked to Bruce on the phone about it. That was his advice to me. Took it for a weekend spin and I've had it ever since.

Also don't worry on durability. Mines got about 100k miles of touring down so far

100,000 miles of touring?

• Members

I love my Tweaker 15.... it can give quiet a wide range of tones though I mostly stick to the Brit mode for that nice midrange bump but the US and UK mode have nice tones as well... I do find the Vox setting works best with single coils though, for some reason I can't get it to work well with Humbuckers or P90s...

For me the best sounds from this amp is when you crank it, the master should be between 1 and 2 O' Clock and the gain around 9 O' Clock on the Clean setting... but I've been able to get some decent tones with the Gain on the Hot setting and turned up with the master volume down, but I still prefer the sound and FEEL of the master turned up and the gain down low... I ALMOST picked up the 40 a while back but went with the Mesa TA30 just because I wanted more options tone wise, not that the Tweaker couldn't give me options but I don't see the point in having two of the same amp, unless you're touring and need a back up..which I'm not..

• Members

For me the best sounds from this amp is when you crank it, the
master should be between 1 and 2 O' Clock
and the gain around 9 O' Clock on the Clean setting... but I've been able to get some decent tones with the Gain on the Hot setting and turned up with the master volume down, but I still prefer the sound and FEEL of the master turned up and the gain down low.

This was my experience with the Tweaker 40 as well.....that's where the really really good tone is.

• Members

I bought a Rebel 30 combo from GC. They gave me a great deal a free shipping. I use mine for P&W, hard rock, and clean acousic stuff. Very versatile and easy to use. I have never worried about whether it was fragile. This thing is built like a tank. I forgot my ampstand one day and set it between two folding chairs. Duh! The chairs were on a linoleum floor and they slid apart and the amp dropped straight down. Surprised the crap out of everyone but it did not miss a beat. I am in the process of trying different OD/Distortion/Fuzz pedals to see which one sounds the best. I am currently running a Boss SD-1. Sounds great. I also have a FullDrive II and a BBE green screamer. All sound good. I swap them in and out depending on what I am playing at the time. I have been very happy with this amp.

• Members

This was my experience with the Tweaker 40 as well.....that's where the really really good tone is.

yikes!... that volume setting on the 15 is pretty loud.... I don't want to think about the 40 at that setting!!

Archived