OT: Going to Berlin! Cool places to see?

• Members

I spent a day there a few years ago. It's an awesome city. Just saw the obvious tourist bits - Reichstag , Brandenburg Gate, Holocaust memorial, went for a walk through the nearby park, then a zoo, then zoo station (u2 fan lol).

• Members

errr, avoid the touristy hotspots, Reichstag, Zoo, Brandenburger Tor, Checkpoint Charlie, Potzdamer Platz, etc.

hang out in Treptower Park, Berghain, get a kebab in Kreuzberg, hang out in Friedrichshain and Prenzlauer Berg, when sunny, get out of town and go to Wannsee

great musea if you're into modern art, plenty of cool galleries too

• Members

Went to an awesome pub there a couple years back. It was this old abandoned house which was totally wrecked and it was full of used vintage furniture and there was a bar in the middle. There were no tables or assigned seats, you just had to take a chair out of the pile and spread across the place. It was jam packed and the atmosphere was great but we got {censored}faced that night and I can't for the life of me remember what it's called or where it exactly is. It's near Kottbusser Tor U-bahn station and that's all I remember. Maybe some Berliner forumites can help out?

• Members

Berlin. {censored}ing Berlin. When a friend and I got into berlin we thought we'd check out a club or two just to see how ze germins partied. Our trusty Lonely Planet recommended a place called "Berghain/Panorama Bar", the description was great "Techno fans from across the world pump it up in a huge cathedral like former railway workshop, or chill out in the quieter Panorama Bar upstairs". Good description. We were sold. Low and behold once we got to the hostel, two English sexy times invited us out to the same place that night. Shoots, he {censored}in scores.

So we get lit up like a couple of drunken sailors, stagger these British bitches out to this club at an already Un-Canadian hour of the night. And we get in this place, and its like that scene in {censored}in Vin Diesels "XXX" {censored}in wild stallions. we bumped those nasties for a while and After a few chicken fights (yes, actual on the back kicking legs chicken fights), we get these fine ladies some mother {censored}in ice cream thats being sold on like the fire escape near the roof or some {censored}. I was flying high man flying high.

Anyway, somehow, we lose these crafty ho's. So being the entrepenaueril sexy dudes we are, set off for more tail.

"Lets go check out the other side of this sick ass dance floor breau" I said. My friend nodded and through up his thumb with squinty eyes. {censored} was fo real.

We start doing the Pidgeon, a dance move coined by myself, that involves bobbin your head like a pidgeon, bitches swoon on that {censored}. As we're pigeoning over, I'm noticing a lot of dude sans shirts. No biggy I says, its {censored}in hot in here, If I had chesticles like that and whip them out too. The bald head factor began to increase, and my breau, whos as tough as nails, starts to look visibly distraught. THEY'RE EVERYWHERE. At least 20 bald/shirtless, maybe more. One after another, bald shirtlessness converge on our position and being bumping and grindin on us, and I think I saw some of them licking their lips. We got the {censored} out into the pisser, we're we could communicate our strategy.

"That dance floor got a little wierd huh?" I said. "Ya dude, that was freaky, lets go chill out upstairs at the quiet bar" He responded. As we talk, we're noticing some incredibly manly moaning coming from multiple stalls. As we wiggle the tinkle from our dicks, we realize we have entered the hive of the shirtless bald men. This is clearly the mating den. "BAIL MOTHER {censored}ER, BAIL!" I SCREAMED.

We climb the gauntlet of stairs to the Panorama Bar for some chilliaxin time, and {censored}in bam. I'm hit in the {censored}in face with Fog, lazer beams, and the loudest most cramped club I've ever been in my life. No chillin here, just {censored}in bumpin nasties, and some serious {censored} too, hands in peoples pants. One classy girl was Ski Poling two dudes, a maneuver I've heard of, but never witnessed. It was incredible. And at that moment, we were reunited with our "british bitches" and continued the party. As the brisk morning air hit my lungs after exciting quite possibly the hottest place I've ever been in my life, I couldn't help but think with this pretty little English girl under my arm, that this must be what it feels like to be an adult.

{censored}ing Berlin.

That was only the first night. The Second night we saw Metallica release their newest CD at the O2 Arena for Free and the third night, somehow we managed to convice two pretty young hostesses to let us into some sort of Banquet dinner with free booze and amazing food for some Newspaper conglomerate. How two 19 year old Canadian guys with no german language skills managed to mingle with a bunch of newspaper exec's I will never know. Act like you belong I guess.

The days, those were them.

• Members

good suggestions already listed like Potzdamer, Brandenburger, the Zoo

I remember we visited a huge intrument museum(stuff like the oldest rickenbacker), but sadly I can't remember the name.

together with New York, it is the city I've enjoyed the most:)

• Members

Take a guided tour on a bike. These guys are the best:

Berlin's a great city for cycling. Do the 4.5 hour tour and get all the big sights done with a beer garden stop halfway. Our tour guide in March was a cool guy - Canadian DJ who gave us loads of ideas for clubs/bars off the tourist trail.

I reluctantly agree with this.

I mean, I'm often annoyed by herds of tourists flailing around on rented bikes, blocking bike paths and actually moving at walking speed. But yes, the best way to really get to see/know the city is on bike. Take a guided tour for some good tips, and for your safety.

Then you'll see enough cool places that you can go to at night. Without knowing what exactly you're into, I wouldn't know where to start with recommendations otherwise...

• Members

good suggestions already listed like Potzdamer, Brandenburger, the Zoo

I remember we visited a huge intrument museum(stuff like the oldest rickenbacker), but sadly I can't remember the name.

together with New York, it is the city I've enjoyed the most:)

Potzdamer is a boring shoping mall with expensive cafetarias

Brandenburger is a dull looking monument

the Zoo is a zoo

OK if your're into those things

but Berlin has a lot more to offer

near Potzdamer Platz is the Neue Nationalgalerie

near Brandenburger is the Denkmal f

• Members

Well, perhaps this seems a boring recommendation compared to others, but I thoroughly recommend the Deutsches Historisches Museum in the Zeughaus next to the Museum island if you want to find out more about this fascinating and fantastic country, its people and history.

Just leave yourself 4+ hours; I was there for 3.5 and had to sprint through post-1945 Germany to get to the Hauptbahnhof on time. :facepalm:

• Members

Potzdamer is a boring shoping mall with expensive cafetarias

Brandenburger is a dull looking monument

the Zoo is a zoo

OK if your're into those things

but Berlin has a lot more to offer

near Potzdamer Platz is the Neue Nationalgalerie

near Brandenburger is the Denkmal f

• Members

Although it's touristy, I would still recommend walking from Hauptbahnhof to Postdamer Platz. You'll see some nice architecture, the Reichstag, Brandenburger Tor, the holocaust monument, the Sony Center, and more. Visiting the dome of the reichstag is also interesting, but you'll have to book in advance. Skip Checkpoint Charlie, that's just touristy in a bad way.

I thought the music instruments museum is rather stuffy and dull, a museum like that could have been so much more interesting. The best museums are on the museum island. I also loved the DDR museum (next to the Dom). If you're interested in the history of the city, the stasi prison in Hohenschoenhausen is also impressive.

• Members

Kebaps rule just about any other version of the Kebab that I've eaten.

Berghain is like the vampire nightclub in Blade except with a lot of vampires who are "good with colours" getting jiggy with each other (still worth a visit as it's an amazing club).

Great city and one that I first visited as a kid when the wall was there. It was very weird standing in the spot I stood 25 years before watching the changing of the East German guard at the Brandenburg Gate.

• Members

I'm into Third Reich history, which skews my recommendations, I suppose. That being said:

Treptower Park, for sure.

The Checkpoint Charlie Museum

The DDR Museum.

Yes, go see the Brandenburg Gate and The Reichstag and The Holocaust Memorial. Who gives a {censored} if they're touristy.

Kreuzberg and Friedrichshain are great for bars, hanging out, food. Go eat at Nil. There's a location in both Kreuzberg and Friedrichshain. I recommend the Tofu Madagascar or their take on falafel. Burgermeister on Skalitzer Strasse is pretty good, too.

Berliner Pils is cheap and good. Drink a lot of it.

If you're into tattoos, go to Tatau Obscur and have Walde tattoo you. Tell him Will says hi while you're at it.

I had a hard time finding laundry but there's one on Skalitzer Strasse in Friedrichshain right after you come over from Kreuzberg. If you need somewhere to hang out and drink those cheap Berliners, the Cassiopeia compound is a nice place to sit down and do that.

I love that city. If I ever moved away from the US, that would be my destination.

Archived