5 minute mixing tips.

TravvyBear

• Members

Another place that's good for mixing things is "thewomb" forum. I spent a while just going through back posts on the "zen and the art of mixing" and "the womb university" rooms, plus the archives down at the bottom. It's not so much specific tips like "add 5k to kick drums" but general ways of thinking, the philosophy of recording, getting the most out of what you have, and most of all doing things for a reason. I've learned a lot there, and quite a few of the posters come from a professional background.

Plus it's funny watching their constant piss taking animosity to gearslutz, it's very much a HC/TGP type dynamic. But something worth noting; If you go on gearslutz and ask a question like "Which mic is best for vocals" you'll get 50 anonymous people recommending their favourite mic. On The Womb you'll get maybe a dozen replies, some of which are from people who you'll very likely find in the credits of albums you own. And they won't be recommending their favourite mic, they'll be asking you to put up a clip so they can actually hear what the voice in question sounds like.

To me, that's a pretty big difference.

/sales pitch. :D

• Members

Hmm. I'm not sure I buy the LCR panning thing. I find I tend to prefer mixes that aren't actually all that wide.

For me, I like wide mixes but dislike hardpanned instruments....if that makes sense.

Create the stereo effect through means other then splaying the drums flat across the entire image. Sounds so unnatural.

• Members

Hmm. I'm not sure I buy the LCR panning thing. I find I tend to prefer mixes that aren't actually all that wide.

I thought it sounded funny too.

Then I actually tried it, and it worked really well for me. And now I'm clued into it, I'm finding that hard panned elements are a lot more common in mixes than I thought they were. For me it was something that intellectually didn't seem to make sense, but in practice I've been pleased with it - my mixes have got bigger and clearer, and it doesn't take me as long to get to something that sounds finished. :cool:

Say you make some kind of artificial limitation to how far you'll pan, like you'll go no further than 75% in either direction... well, how is that any different than having your speakers a little bit closer together? What if you only pan things out to 75%, but someone listens to your mix on a stereo with the speakers on either side of the living room? They hear a wider stereo field than you intended them to.

And what if they listen on a boom box type thing? the speakers might only be 30cm apart, and your soft panning basically becomes mono. Then you've got headphones, which is a different experience all together.

When I started thinking of it like that I stopped caring so much about what I intellectually gravitate to as a "realistic" stereo field. Now I want something that sounds exciting, catches your ear, lets you hear all the parts I want you to hear clearly and creates its own world rather than trying to pretend it's a band on a stage. Sometimes that's hard panned drums, sometimes it's mono drums, or all panned to one side...

What I've noticed with using mostly LCR panning is that your stereo balance pretty much translates on lots of different systems. There's no accounting for what people will listen to your stuff on (frankly i'd be happy if ANYONE listened to anything I do haha) but it makes sense to me to use a technique that best translates in lots of different ways.

Headphones is the one you've got to be careful with - an overly wide mix in them can sound silly if you don't get it right. But I listen to professional LCR mixes in headphones all the time and they don't bother me, so I don't think it automatically sounds weird. Just off the top of my head, U2's Vertigo and BRMC's Love Burns both have hard panned loud elements and unbalanced mixes in that one side has a lot more going on than the other, and I love listening to them in headphones.

What I've settled with after doing some entirely LCR mixes is something where the major elements of the mix in those three points, but then using the space in between for more subtle things like delay and reverb returns, extra parts etc. Sometimes I use those soft pan points as "Negative space" and then put a guitar riff there in the last chorus or something and that seems more satisfying to me than using the edges in that way.

All the above isn't me trying to say you're wrong though! You've got to do what feels right for you. I'm just explaining what is working for me and why! :)

• Members

I do. Unfortunately it's mostly electronica oriented it seems. But theres some neat stuff.

That sub kind of gets on my nerves. The most recent reply to the weekly post your music megathread thing sums it up: why even have that thread? People should be able to post whatever the {censored} they want. I need a bunch of help with recording and mixing but I'm not really into posting my most recent recordings here because of the internet asshole factor, but that place sucks because it rarely gets any replies.

feels batman

Archived