Calling all stompbox brains... 'Delayed' Overdrive?

jmcleod816

• Members

So I don't even necessarily know what to call it, but I'm sure everyone know's what I'm talking about (or trying to)

I would love to have an OD pedal that slowly drives my signal after I click it, for a really dynamic build. For maybe like 2 seconds. Is there a term I could be using to be current, and does it exist?

• Members

DOD Swell Pedal + an overdrive pedal would do this. The swell has to be triggered by your foot, though. For a while, I used mine for a controlled feedback, it worked great because it slowly ramped the gain up as the note was dying out.

e7840f31854919b447f94080b890a4f7.png

I sold mine to a forumite who promptly flipped it for a big bucks. :(

Of course the Swell Pedal and Boss Slow Gear are out of production. :cop: There's a slow gear clone in kit form out there, and Pigtronix makes the "Attack Sustain" which I know nothing about.

• Members

Imagine this:

An external bypass box where you would hook up an existing pedal (overdrive, etc) into the loop. There would be three controls: level, entrance time and exit time. Level would control the initial blend of the dry signal and the effected signal. When the switch is activated, a microcontroler would turn a digital pot at the speed the entrance control is set at, effectively turning a blend control for you. Exit speed would be the same thing but the time it takes to blend back to the initial setting.

I should probably try coding this when I get home

• Members

There was an akai overdrive pedal a few years ago that had a built in expression pedal. Also, with the line 6 m series pedals, you can assign an expression pedal to the drive knob of an overdrive sim. To have it trigger off an envelope, you need some kind of swell pedal approach, like described above.

• Members

this could be of use too, I've been pondering picking up one but it's a bit pricy:

http://coopersonic.bigcartel.com/product/coopersonic-fader-pedal

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35YalCDhzAI

put it after a distortion, put both into a bypass loop w/ blend. set the fader pedal to whatever fade in/out time you want? would actually be cool if they made one with a loop that they fade in/out.

• Members

There was an akai overdrive pedal a few years ago that had a built in expression pedal. Also, with the line 6 m series pedals, you can assign an expression pedal to the drive knob of an overdrive sim. To have it trigger off an envelope, you need some kind of swell pedal approach, like described above.

Yeah I am selling one actually. The Shredomatic.

Anyway, another simple solution (and how I usually do this) is to use a drive pedal that's very pick sensitive and then just soften my pick attack a bit as I kick it on and progressively pick harder and harder. That was one of the goals when designing the Savior Machine od/distortion. Enough pick sensitivity to control actual drive level with your picking dynamics/pickup selection and then a gain knob that more acts to sort of bring the threshold higher or lower.

• Members

I'm not 100% what the original poster wants, but those volume fader pedals will bring you in from 0% volume > 100% (assumably). I'm not sure if this dude wants the distorting sound to be fading in from the clean sound, which would be different to this. This would leave a few options. Running clean and distortion parallel, and using a volume to bring in the gain side. A Boss LS-2 with distortion and volume fader/volume pedal in a loop. A Keymaster with distortion in loop w/ exp pedal. Or Dr. Scientist Elements w/ exp pedal.

• Members

Just put a volume pedal before a dirt... a good dirt that has lots of dynamic range. At a certain volume it will be clean, and as you ramp up the pedal will start to drive.

Don't over complicate things.

This seems most desirable - Could a Volume/Expression pedal effect 100% wet signal of the OD tho? So I wouldn't lose all clean volume with the exp. rocked all the way back?

• Members
So I don't even necessarily know what to call it, but I'm sure everyone know's what I'm talking about (or trying to)

I would love to have an OD pedal that slowly drives my signal after I click it, for a really dynamic build. For maybe like 2 seconds.

I'm not sure I understand...it' an overdrive which means it's not very high gain...couldn't you just do that with your pick attack? Pick lighter for clean sound and then gradually dig in to build up the drive? That's what I do. :idk:

• Members

You can get volume pedals that can set a minimum heel down position. I'd go for one like that. At least then you know that when you rock the treadle all the way back it won't lose all volume completely, but it should be fairly clean still.

Yes...this is another good approach. :thu:

Archived