OT: The iPad's built-in mic

• Members

Is ridiculously good. I didn't feel like getting the rest of my recording gear out, and I wanted to do a cover of "A Crime" by Sharon Van Etten. So I started laying down acoustic tracks and realized, this sounds pretty great. Makes a decent amp mic as well.

https://fbcdn-video-a.akamaihd.net/cfs-ak-ash4/v/596447/163/187860631343928_40037.mp4?oh=8baed5a9a74207df62ca8 ded374b5e99&oe=500CEC20&__gda__=1343024160_86109d22b56cb04dd6e09091cd6d5a3 4

Everything was mic'd with the iPad and recorded into GarageBand. Used a vocal bullhorn effect on the bass.

• Members

sounds nice. I stuggle with your voice a bit to be honest, but I cant sing for {censored} so I cant talk haha.

good job

Thanks for the honesty. I know that I sound at my best when I do things a bit lower, and if I had more EQ control I'd definitely add some filters to reduce the edge. But it's an iPad, it had its limitations.

It probably uses one of those little Panasonic condenser capsules. They only cost a couple of bucks, but you can make a surprisingly decent sounding mic with them. That's what is typically built into the little $35 condenser mikes that are floating around online.

Archived