Multi Effects unit for Tube Amp

Sonolin

• Members

Hi guys,

I have a peavey 6505+ combo. Not the greatest amp I'm sure, but I love it - gives me a real good hard rock & heavy metal crunch. After playing with it for a while, I've realized I need a few pedals to refine the sound of the amplifier.

I could go two routes - either traditional, with stomp box pedals, or go with a multi effects pedal. I would really much rather go with multi-effects, as that gives me a lot of versatility, portability, and just be more convenient to me. I've used a POD before in the past and loved it, but did think it sounded a little to "digital" sounding (although I always used the amp modelers - in this case I would not be using the amp modelers, and just effects).

I've read some articles on using the POD with 4cm method, and how to give it complete transparency (here's one: http://blackstaramps.forumotion.com/t487p15-blackstar-venue-in-4cm-with-new-pod-hds few posts down the guy details how to set it up transparently). The main reason I'm interested in the POD is because I think the tubescreamer clone sounds much better than the Boss gt-100's tube screamer. AND, I would really like to use a POD for recording as I've used them in the past and I love it.

I'm also looking at the boss gt-100, and I love this thing. It looks a little more user friendly than the pod, but I don't like the distortions on it. I'm thinking the delays/modulations might be better on the Boss though, as I like boss effects but haven't used much of line 6.

My essential effects would be: Tubescreamer, Delay, Noise Gate, Tuner, and Looper. Others I'd use: EQ, Wah, Phaser, Chorus, and Reverb.

Any input guys? What does HC suggest? I've looked into the TC Nova, and I like it, but it doesn't have a lot of effects, and no tubescreamer (I know that's kind of asking a lot from a mfx... but I'd rather just not use any pedals if at all possible). Have you guys used the POD for just multi fx? I'm mostly wondering how the delays, and all that are.

Thanks

• Members

The Line 6 M13 Stompbox Modeler (or its little brother the M9) seems to be the flavor of the week around here. Very versatile, has all the stuff you need.

Another choice might be the Line 6 HD 500 Pro Floor Pod.

Fender just came out with a multi-effects floor unit based on their line of Fender Mustang amps that's getting good reviews, a bit cheaper than the Line 6 stuff.

• Members

I've read some articles on using the POD with 4cm method, and how to give it complete transparency (here's one:
few posts down the guy details how to set it up transparently). The main reason I'm interested in the POD is because I think the tubescreamer clone sounds much better than the Boss gt-100's tube screamer. AND, I would really like to use a POD for recording as I've used them in the past and I love it.

A TS9 clone can be bought for peanuts now. Buy one of those, a Pitchblack tuner, and a Zoom G3 for delay and reverb that you can stick in the effects loop of your amp.

• Members

A TS9 clone can be bought for peanuts now. Buy one of those, a Pitchblack tuner, and a Zoom G3 for delay and reverb that you can stick in the effects loop of your amp.

This sounds like a great idea, actually. Which TS9 clone would you recommend, and do they sound close enough to a TS9? (Would I just search ebay for "TS9 clone" ?) And I'm assuming you mean this tuner right? Seems a little cheaper than the boss version.

The Zoom G3 looks very cool, I just heard some sounds and I'm loving the delay! I can never find a decent demo of the POD HD in front of an amp, but I have a feeling the Zoom might have better delays than the Line 6. Not so sure though. This solution is by far the cheapest, and probably the best in sound quality. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll have to look into the G3 some more!

• Members

Just as HeartFeltDawn stated, the G3 is perfect for delay, reverb and modulation. So many options to choose from and they sound really good. For a TS-9 clone, I'd recommend the Way Huge Green Rhino.

+1 on the Green Rhino. Fantastic pedal.

A cheaper alternative would be the Digitech Bad Monkey.

• Members

Zoom G3 is definitely not a bad way to go. I especilly like the idea of using it in a loop and getting an actual TS9 or equivalent. Pretty close to how I've been using mine wxcept my amp doesn't have a loop and I use different dirt pedals.

• Members

Wow guys, thanks SO MUCH for this!!! I'm so glad I posted here :D. I love you guys, lol.

I'm soooo happy with what I've heard so far of the Zoom G3. It even has a 40+ second looper, and a drum machine! This thing is just perfect for me, and at a great price.

I'll check out the Green Rhino pedal, thanks for the suggestion.

Thanks again guys :)... I think you've solved my problem. I'll be buying this thing when funds allow.

EDIT: I do really like the POD XT. That's the POD I had experience with in the past. But, I'm looking for more of a solution that will work well with my already existing tube amp, and I think the Zoom is perfect for that.

I also like the ME-70, but I have to say the Drum Machine and DAW from the Zoom really strays my opinion that way. Not sure if ME-70 can be used as a DAW or not though. But I'll keep a look out on youtube for some demos of the ME-70, as I do really like Boss effects. Does it work well with a tube amp? (As in, is it transparent, and can it go through the fx loop easy enough? I've heard some bad things about transparency in this unit.)

• Members

wait... did this thread really just happen? did we really actually help this poor guy out? no one hated? everyone was helpful? no sarcasm or memes?

this thread just made me believe in HCFX again

HighFive.jpeg

• Members

Ok, now I'm stuck on the OD. :p

I took a listen to the Green Rhino and I really like it compared to the TS9. I'm wondering, though, what's the difference between the too for more Heavy Metal type playing? To me, it sounded a little clearer than the TS9 but that was with the guy playing on little-no distortion.

All I really want a tubescreamer for is something to tighten up my huge distortion sound, a little. And maybe give a little boost to leads.

Thanks

• Members

wait... did this thread really just happen? did we really actually help this poor guy out? no one hated? everyone was helpful? no sarcasm or memes?

this thread just made me believe in HCFX again

HighFive.jpeg

Lol.

This forum has been so much more helpful than most/all guitar forums I've been too..

If I posted this to ultimate guitar (which used to be the only forum I really used for this kind of stuff), I probably would've gotten a bunch of guys telling me to just go buy analog pedals and to stop messing with my ears with all this digital stuff. Or something like that...

• Members

Ok, now I'm stuck on the OD.
:p

I took a listen to the Green Rhino and I really like it compared to the TS9. I'm wondering, though, what's the difference between the too for more Heavy Metal type playing? To me, it sounded a little clearer than the TS9 but that was with the guy playing on little-no distortion.

All I really want a tubescreamer for is something to tighten up my huge distortion sound, a little. And maybe give a little boost to leads.

Thanks

The Green Rhino has more tone shaping tools than a standard TS-9, which normally results in a tone with mid boost but loss on the bass end. Many of the TS-9 clones have similarly useful tone controls. For example, the relatively simple Hardwire CM-2 Tube Overdrive (a steal at $99.00) is basically a TS-9 clone, but with better EQ (specifically a bass boost to make up for for the loss to your bottom end), and an extra gain stage ("Vintage" vs."Modern") if you want more oomph. Also a good clean boost if you roll the gain all the back.

The Green Rhino has that fantastic 100Hz boost knob, which takes it from a Tube Screamer sound all the way to pretty high gain distortion sounds. Cranked, it sounds incredible.

Many of the clones have similar features, depending on how much you want to spend. My current favorite Tube Screamer clone is the Wampler Paisley Drive, which is a fantastic OD pedal, albeit at $230.00.

• Members

The Green Rhino has more tone shaping tools than a standard TS-9, which normally results in a tone with mid boost but loss on the bass end. Many of the TS-9 clones have similarly useful tone controls. For example, the relatively simple Hardwire CM-2 Tube Overdrive (a steal at $99.00) is basically a TS-9 clone, but with better EQ (specifically a bass boost to make up for for the loss to your bottom end), and an extra gain stage ("Vintage" vs."Modern") if you want more oomph. Also a good clean boost if you roll the gain all the back.

The Green Rhino has that fantastic 100Hz boost knob, which takes it from a Tube Screamer sound all the way to pretty high gain distortion sounds. Cranked, it sounds incredible.

Many of the clones have similar features, depending on how much you want to spend. My current favorite Tube Screamer clone is the Wampler Paisley Drive, which is a fantastic OD pedal, albeit at $230.00.

Thanks for the input!

Yea, from what I gathered it seems like the green rhino has so much more tone shaping controls. It almost has a full EQ on it! Pretty cool. Not only that, but I really like the low gain distorted blues tones you can get out of it - sounds much more alive than the ts9 does (by comparison). I think I might go with that one, it just sounds spectacular, I heard some comparison on youtube between it, a maxon 808, a ts9, and some other pedal and by far the green rhino won.

• Members

I think the obvious and current suggestions have been covered by other posts. I'll go ahead and throw in a word for the Boss ME-50. It's a pretty cool multi-effects, reliable, and just has effects, which is nice. I've seen many a gigging musician with good tone use them.

• Members

I think the obvious and current suggestions have been covered by other posts. I'll go ahead and throw in a word for the Boss ME-50. It's a pretty cool multi-effects, reliable, and just has effects, which is nice. I've seen many a gigging musician with good tone use them.

Thanks. I have a feeling the boss multi effects units might stay with me a little longer, but I'm really liking the zoom g3 right now, all the effects seem good, and the drum machine is really cool. (Lately I've been trying to keep my lead playing "under control", and a drum machine really would help with that.. otherwise I have to use headphones.) I do like the boss multi effects though, but from what I've heard on youtube the ME-50 series effects vs. the Zoom effects are no better or no worse. I do like the Boss amp simulations a lot more, but I think that's only in the gt-100.

Is there any instance that an ME-50 would be better than a Zoom g3? (Certain effects maybe?) I didn't care for what I heard of the phaser, and I never heard the chorus of the g3, so I'm sure the me-50 might have an advantage there.

EDIT: Oh, and you mean the ME-25 right? The only ME-50 I can find on musician's friend is a bass version.

EDIT: Ok this ME-25 is starting to look pretty cool, I like the aux in. I can easily hook up backing tracks that way. Well I suppose back to youtube to compare the effects of both :)

• Members

I personally like the Boss stuff more, both for sound and build quality/reliability. The drum machine feature does sound cool, though.

And I did mean the ME-50. It has been discontinued, so you won't find it it on Musician's Friend unless they have a used one in stock. You can find them on Ebay for ~$130 if you're patient.

• Members

IMHO, At the ~$500 level and below Boss and Digitech units provide the best overall effect quality with Digitech taking a slight lead simply for the fact that their effects all mimic the actual controls of the pedals they are modeling making the transition from reality to virtual reality fairly painless. The GT-100 though has the ability to run multiple instances of several effects within its chain at any position while Digitech signal chains are limited by comparison. Zoom is extremely close behind and would actually be my first reccomendation in this instance due to its extreme affordability and wide range of uses after the 2.0 update. In addition to functioning fantastically well as a simple multi-fx, its also an audio interface (though not an actual DAW as earlier mentioned), can serve as a backup running direct if you amp goes out, and can run on batteries as a perfect practice tool on the go. Only a couple draw backs, pitch effects aren't really competitive and the gain level of stomps/amps is completely over the top often with double the gain of the real life pedal being emulated. Of all the MFX makers, on the whole I like Line 6 effects the least, too many effects simply miss the mark for me. Though I think Line 6 do amp modeling terrifically.

Regading a TS9 option, pick up a GFS Greenie for $50 (even less used). I reviewed one over at my site and with the right settings sounded indistinguishable from my Ibanez TS9.

Archived