Stupid Power Supply Question. Using 2 power supplies.

diocide

• Members

So I"ve been using a 1spot for years, and I've never had any issues with it. That being said, I am not too fond of the wall wart and wire that I use to plug it in. It's starting to make me a little nervous, and I would rather use a traditional IEC type of wire and plug that's found on most power supplies.

Heres my problem, I can't seem to find a power supply that's going to work with my board. I need 8 plugs altogether, with one 18volt(for my OCD) and one 12v. Now the VL Iso5 is ideal, except it doesn't have enough output, so heres my thought;

What if I use an ISO5 and ALSO daisy chain off of my Korg Pitchblack for the remaining pedals. Obviously I'd plug in the lowest drawing pedals off the PB, and connect as few as possible to it.

So would powering my PB off the Iso5, and then daisy chaining a couple pedals off the PB be a bad idea?

• Members

You could also double up one of the 9V PP2 plugs to become 18V, and it has the 12V ready. You would need to power 2 of your other pedals off 1 plug but this is not a problem, as long as they are not time based effects.

I have my Timeline running off 4 of the plugs to give me 9V 400mA. The TL only needs 300mA but it is better to give an extra 20% or so just in case.

• Members

Ahhhh, so I can daisy chain off the outputs of the PP2 and or ISO5. That actually works out really well. I'm only running 200-300 ma, so that will actually work out nicely. I didnt think you could do that for some reason. Sweet!

• Members

Just be sure you know what you are doing. Your total mA draw should be 20% less than the rated output, ideally.

If you want to double the mA supply you have to be sure you have the jacks wired properly. Series or parallel. One way doubles the mA, the other the voltage. I forget which is which.

I buy the One Spot angle jack chord with 8 or so jacks. I cut off 5 jacks. 4 plug into my PP2 100 mA outs and the last jack into my Timeline. This gives the TL 9V 400mA. It asks for 300mA. I have 2 PP2s (not PP2+). Remember you can have more mAs supplied than needed but not less. Never use higher voltage unless you know it is a feature of the pedal.

• Members

Gotcha. I didnt realize you can do that. I'm going to talk to Dunwich Amps and see if Nick can build me one. If not. then atleast I know I have the option to do that. Thanks!

Build you one what?

Do you have a PP2 now?

• Members

Ah, so you can daisy chain off the PP ISO 5.......I have (6) 9v & (1) 18v pedals I'd like to power........just isolate the delay and reverb, use the 18v for the 18v and daisy chain two pedals in each remain 9v spot.

Right, that's actually pretty sweet. I didn't think you could do that.

Archived