Incredible Mahavishnu footage

Loobs

• Members

{censored} YEAH MAN!!!! Hellyes. Definitely one of (if not THE) most underrated and underappreciated bands of all time...their first 3 albums are one of the pinnacles of musical achievement of all time in my opinion....just aboslutely {censored}ing MINDBLOWING on SO many levels...

this is another one of my fav live performances of them...

• Members

Mclaughlin is coming to Finland this year, so I am seriously considering about seeing him play. It will be a good fall for guitar-related concerts - I will go see Campilongo and Frisell gigs and now possibly even Mclaughlin.

• Members

The violin kills it for me
:mad:

Really? It's the violin that makes it for me.

Jerry Goodman is a {censored}ing GOD. Besides Ponty, there is literally nobody else with the intensity, creativity, and absolute mastery of both the electric violin and the effects he runs it through.

Excellent performance, and a surprisingly good quality video. The biggest shame about Mahavishnu is the fact that recordings of their live shows are rare, with most being pretty dirt quality. While this can be said about a lot of bands in the 70's, it's rather sad that such an incredible group has to suffer from an ever aging sense of obscurity.

• Members

I saw them live around that time, maybe around '74. I was too stoopid to grok it. Still am. All that technical stuff just doesn't appeal to me, I don't know what they're trying to say other than "I can play these weird scales really fast".

• Members

"I can play these weird scales really fast".

I can see how that can be taken from their music, but really, they're just on a different level. I know it almost sounds elitist to say so, but there are people who "get it", and those who don't. Those who do are treated to an intense, magical roller coaster of emotion and splendor through their music. There is far, far more to their compositions than doing their best to speed-noodle in awkward time signatures. Not that they aren't guilty of some wankery at times, but for the most part there is definitely an emotional connection in the roots of their face-melting. And that's what truly makes them grand.

I'll shut up now. Peace.

Archived