@#$% Apple

You know, when you download a picture or create a text file or movie, you should be able to save it as whatever you want... the "save a version" thing in Lion is bullpucky. I don't trust it... what if that file (with the associated versions) gets corrupted? It wouldn't be the first time that's happened to me. If I want to save a file in a different place, or "save as" with a different name... I can't - not without having to go way out of my way (out of the file menu) to do it.

WTH were they thinking?

/ Griping.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

You know, when you download a picture or create a text file or movie, you should be able to save it as whatever you want... the "save a version" thing in Lion is bullpucky. I don't trust it... what if that file (with the associated versions) gets corrupted? It wouldn't be the first time that's happened to me. If I want to save a file in a different place, or "save as" with a different name... I can't - not without having to go way out of my way (out of the file menu) to do it.

WTH were they thinking?

/ Griping.

It actually works really well, it's just so hard to get used to versions. I'm pretty sure it's not defaulted on in Mountain Lion.

• Members

You can do File -> Duplicate. this creates a unsaved duplicate of the file you are in. then you will be in the new copy (focus-wise) and you can hit File -> Save and you can then put it wherever.

this is not pretty, but you don't have to leave the File menu

(it is also possible we are not talking about the same thing)

You can do File -> Duplicate. this creates a unsaved duplicate of the file you are in. then you will be in the new copy (focus-wise) and you can hit File -> Save and you can then put it wherever.

this is not pretty, but you don't have to leave the File menu

(it is also possible we are not talking about the same thing)

No, I think we are... and your work-around is a reasonable one, although it shouldn't be necessary. Just let me "save as" in one fell swoop.

Travis, this was the default in Lion - at least on my new MBP. I still have not jumped to Mountain Lion yet. I either need to see how a few more people do when trying it with Pro Tools 9 and / or I need to upgrade to Pro Tools 10 first.

Is there any way to turn versions "off"?

• Members

No, I think we are... and your work-around is a reasonable one, although it shouldn't be necessary. Just let me "save as" in one fell swoop.

Travis, this was the default in Lion - at least on my new MBP. I still have not jumped to Mountain Lion yet. I either need to see how a few more people do when trying it with Pro Tools 9 and / or I need to upgrade to Pro Tools 10 first.

Is there any way to turn versions "off"?

Save As is back in Mountain Lion (according to the internet, i don't have it yet)

See this http://www.tuaw.com/2012/07/29/get-save-as-back-on-mountain-lions-file-menu-easily-and-without/

• Members

They made some changes on the OSx that are annoying, the "save as" is one of them. And it's really annoying to have that "modified" or not on the document top.

Also, when pressing on the finder icon of the dock a new screen opens, with all of my documents, pics, music ... 2 million things. Before it just opened an HD screen, very much handy.

• Members

That's because you don't own your music or device. Apple does. You've just paid for the right to hold it, with Apple dollars, and you will hold it however Apple deems appropriate, and you will do it using the Apple software. When it breaks, you will take it to the Apple store, to have the Apple Geniuses repair it, because Apple doesn't believe in screws, fixing things, autonomy, living away from an Apple store, upgrades, usb, sd drives, replaceable batteries, aftermarket parts, or reduce, reuse, recycle.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck those guys. It kills me how young liberals love those assholes. Apple's authoritarian as {censored}. I own my music. It goes in a folder I made, and when I play it, it comes from that {censored}ing folder. If I wanna name every goddamn song I own "Stairway to Heaven" and divide them into fifteen different folders its my business. The fact windows 7 even plays around with that kinda cloud {censored} infuriates me.

Don't even get me started about this cloud nonsense. I can feel Grandpa Simpson voice clawing it's way out my insides.

• Members

Also, when pressing on the finder icon of the dock a new screen opens, with
all
of my documents, pics, music ... 2 million things. Before it just opened an HD screen, very much handy.

You can set that to open whatever you want. Finder > Preferences > "New Finder windows show:"

• Members

They made some changes on the OSx that are annoying, the "save as" is one of them. And it's really annoying to have that "modified" or not on the document top.

Also, when pressing on the finder icon of the dock a new screen opens, with
all
of my documents, pics, music ... 2 million things. Before it just opened an HD screen, very much handy.

you guys are all dweebs. everything is customizable for hte most part. if you dont like the ios style scrolling, change it back.

as for opening the ALL documents window with a new finder window - bugged me too at the beginning so i changed it to just open my HD again too: just go to 'preferences' in the Finder and under the 'general' tab - there is a place where you can choose what 'New Finder Window shows' - change that to your documents, or HD, or home folder or whatever you like

Archived