Moving to Nelson, NZ In October

• Members

Our visas were approved, so now we are headed to Nelson, NZ next year. Any Kiwi's here have any tips or lines on any jobs down there? We'll be landing in Auckland and will make our way to the South Island via Wellington, so if anyone wants to meet up for beers let me know.

Also, cheap plane tickets?

• Members

Congrats on the visa approval.

Nelson is a beautiful place.

Will you be driving yourselves down to Nelson?

Thanks!

We'll probably catch a bus to Wellington, hang out for a few days, and then make our way to Nelson. I don't think we're going to pick up a car and we'll probably use bikes to get around town.

• Members

A couple of years back I was interested in doing this too but never really looked into too much.

How long are the Visas for and do you have the chance of being able to stay there permanently?

From what I understand it is fairly easy to get a green card, but don't quote me on that. Who knows, maybe I'll know in a few months.

• Members

Wow - that's a BIG move! What prompted the desire to move to NZ?

I've been planning on pursuing a PhD in History, but right now with the economy as it is the baby boomers in academia are holding onto their jobs and so the chances of getting a position at a university after finishing my degree are pretty slim. So instead of jumping straight into grad school we're putting it off so that we'll be out of school in 6-10 years when the baby boomers should theoretically start dropping out. Between now and then we might as well travel and figure out that the Earth is in fact round.

New Zealand has a lot of hiking, biking, and kayaking, things that my significant other and I are really into. Plus it seems about as laid back as Alaska, and the people seem to be much nicer than most Americans!

Plus, it'll make EAD a multi-national company :)

• Members

:D We love that stuff down here, as much as you yanks love bacon.

Sad thing for most kiwis is the Marmite shortage - the earthquakes last year wiped out the factory. Doesn't matter to me; I'm a Vegemite fan - Marmite is foul tasting crap.

• Members

Thanks!

We'll probably catch a bus to Wellington, hang out for a few days, and then make our way to Nelson. I don't think we're going to pick up a car and we'll probably use bikes to get around town.

Wellington is rad.

Do yourself a favour and don't bother going into any music store. You will literally weep at the prices.

If you guys are into the outdoors then you definitely need to google "Milford Sounds"

milford_33.jpg

Also if you manage to explore any of the North Island then "Mount Maunganui" is definitely worth a visit.

Mount-Maunganui.jpg

Also, the Central Plateau in the North Island.

NTpo272.jpg

You absolutely have to go to Queenstown. But beware, it's a tourist Mecca and as such is very expensive.

ski.jpg

The Coromandel Peninsula, in the North Island, is full of amazing beaches and walking tracks.

If you do make it there, there is a beach called Hot Water Beach.

At low tide, dig a hole in the sand and you'll discover VERY hot water.

In the summer the place is full of people lying in big pools of hot water :lol:

• Members

Nelson is a sweet place, though a little small depending what you're used to. Not far from some great places like Golden Bay and the Marlborough Sounds.

As Woodward said, gear prices are a joke so bring as much of your stuff as you can. Get a step-down transformer if you have to.

Shame about the Sanitarium factory, though I had my brother bring me over a decent supply of vegemite last month so I'm set for a while.

If you have a trade (builder, plumber etc) you may be better off moving to Christchurch. I haven't been back since the quake, but there's bound to be a ton of construction work,

What visa are you going on?

• Members

Nelson is a sweet place, though a little small depending what you're used to. Not far from some great places like Golden Bay and the Marlborough Sounds.

As Woodward said, gear prices are a joke so bring as much of your stuff as you can. Get a step-down transformer if you have to.

Shame about the Sanitarium factory, though I had my brother bring me over a decent supply of vegemite last month so I'm set for a while.

If you have a trade (builder, plumber etc) you may be better off moving to Christchurch. I haven't been back since the quake, but
there's bound to be a ton of construction work

There is, but the rates are terrible.

• Members

tumblr_lv5lifxVNE1qi5zdv.png

What is the field of history you are interested in? I just graduated in May so I feel your pain on the job situation.

American history with a focus on American-Russian relations since 1917. I met with a bunch of my dad's professor friends and they all said wait... which to some degree is disappointing, but it also gives me the time to be young and without any serious responsibilities.

• Members

If you have a trade (builder, plumber etc) you may be better off moving to Christchurch. I haven't been back since the quake, but there's bound to be a ton of construction work,

I was a carpenter for a while, but I'm looking for probably a part-time bar-tending gig. I'll have enough money saved up from this summer to last me until the beginning of the summer. Hopefully if I can save enough while in NZ I can stop by Japan and visit my cousin and old host family. I haven't been back since 2001..

• Members

I live in Wellington, just moved up from Christchurch so I can give you a run-down on the South Island.

Nelson is a pretty small town, very laid back. During the winter it's quiet, during summer everyone from Christchurch relocates there.

Such a lovely place, and you're in striking range of some of the most spectacular scenery in the world (imo) of Abel Tasman beaches and Golden Bay.

Wellington is a very cool city too, I'd meet for beers and show you around.

Archived