Credit Unions

echodeluxe

• Members

so, some bad {censored} happened and i got defrauded and my bank account (Citibank) is in the negative. to a point where i cant afford to pay it all back now.

however, i need a bank account for my paychecks and like, living life. i was told by my banker that i could try to open an account with a credit union since they are not on chexsystems (except {censored}ing patelco for some reason?) so i think ill try that in the interim while i get my normal account sorted.

anyone use a credit union, particularly on the west coast? advice? horror/success stories?

thanks ya'll.

• Members

sup mang. worked at a CU for 5 years.

they DO use chexsystems. but still they may let you slide or do a savings only. anyway... you should always belong to a CU. they almost always have better rates on savings and loans. so do it.

also :middlefingersmiley:

• Members

Wait why is Citibank keeping you in the negative if it's fraud? Did someone steal your identity or hack your account?

I {censored}ing despise big banks.

Credit Unions are great....instead of answering to shareholders, they answer to YOU since when you open a CU account, you become a shareholder (it's like a co-op). They're insured just like banks, so no worries there. You'll always be better off with a credit union than a large crazy national bank like Citibank. Don't let them {censored} you over....and yes, change to a Credit union ASAP. Close your Citibank accounts and move on....your wallet will thank you.

• Members

well, i was written a personal check and cashed it for some emergency expenses (the check was from our old bassist that we kicked out for being a sociopath). the check was a large sum of money that was owed to me. so when i cashed it, it posted that day, then bounced two weeks later (two weeks, wtf?!?!) clobbering my account.

anywho, im gonna try to open an account with Provident. they have lots of locations near me.

• Members

sup mang. worked at a CU for 5 years.

they DO use chexsystems. but still they may let you slide or do a savings only. anyway... you should always belong to a CU. they almost always have better rates on savings and loans. so do it.

also :middlefingersmiley:

do all CUs use chexsystems? {censored}. what CU did you work for? would you recommend that as good work?

• Members

AHHH...yes unfortunately, yes you're on the hook for that money. I'd sue him in small claims court (seriously). Otherwise, unfortunately you're {censored}ed....try to scape some $$$$ together and get that money back into the black. And yes, checks can bounce up to EIGHT weeks later.

• Members

yeah ive been trying to get him to pay me. no dice. i can take him to court but i dunno how ill collect even with a ruling for me.

either way, yeah. {censored} big banks.

You're wasting your time talking to him to get him to pay you. Take him to small claims (seriously)....once you have a judgement, you can have the county grab any money from his account that he has. (basically....it varies from state to state). If I were you, I'd take myself to the courthouse tomorrow and file suite.

• Members

Provident was the one I was going to suggest for an SF CU. I think the other one is police CU or something that, but that may be just for police. Anywho... yeah it was a great place to work. Worked there all the way through college, started at like 7 bucks an hour and by the time I left I was at 17. Which was pretty decent for a college kid. Plus health insurance, 401k, and they paid like $2500 worth of school each year. Pretty sweet huh?

• Members

Mods, plz change title to "A Thousand Reasons to Hate Citi".

2+ years ago, the ADA (Amer Dental Assoc) picked up their member-visa account and transfered it FROM Citi to US Bank.
Citi had munged up 100s of accounts (bad data entry). While not exactly moving the Mother Teresa of banking, USB was a bit better...or at least I thought until USB constricted 75% of members to the current balance as their Allowable Max Balance. Howie Fook, that put a massive crimp in a huge Allowable that I had worked my way upto over the years... it was my "in case of emergencies" backup.

But no more.

I am about 90 days from dropping USB and moving my entire life savings (all 32 cent) into a local bank (Sterling) and a CU (OSU Federal)
cuz I'm just tired of the big-boy sh!t.

Archived