Any have a "regular" pedal board and a separate "survival/essential" board?

• Members

I'm curious if you guys that have the bigger pedal boards also have an "essentials" only board? I was thinking of just putting together a small three pedal board comprised of a TS9, Vox Wah, and either a boost, OD, or delay. I still plan on continuing to build up my regular board, but I'm considering just having a no bull{censored} setup.

My favorite guitar player's "tone" is Dean Deleo's tone from STP and his effects chain is very basic, OD -> Cry Baby -> Chorus. He attributes his consistency in tone throughout the years to his simple effects. I was thinking of trying to do the same thing (in addition to my regular board).

It would be nice to have two rigs. One "main" rig with all the bells and whistles like my whammy, delays, phasers, etc, and then a second no bull{censored} rig. Simple three pedal setup to rock the f**k out. haha.

What is your experience with this and what pedals are you using in your "essentials only" board?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

We're doing more fly-in shows and recordings...after paying a heafty fee to fly me and my board to SXSW this year I've decided to build a fly-in board around similar Mooer micro pedals and a smaller board made out of lighter materials (honeycombed aircraft aluminum instead of wood).

• Members

yup. second smaller board is mostly things that are too good to sell but have no room for on my main board for whatever reason.

This makes sense. I have spares laying around I sometimes like to use by themselves/ with eachother. Although, I expect I'd cut my board down if I was gigging. It would be a lot of gear to take with me, and I would be worried that it'd all get stolen.

• Members

I've always had two boards, but last year just condensed into a mega board. While I like having everything all on one board I miss the simplicity of an od/delay/verb board. I'm actually putting a second board together right now. Go me.

• Members
I was thinking of just putting together a small three pedal board comprised of a TS9, Vox Wah, and either a boost, OD, or delay...

I'm approaching this from the perspective of a gigging guitarist...

It's something I've considered in the past but I think this quote pretty much sums up why I've never done it - It's your idea and you can't decide whether to have a boost, OD or Delay as the third pedal! :lol:

Whatever you choose, it's a compromise. And I don't think losing any one pedal on my board would be less annoying than any other pedal, they're all there for a reason. So since it'd be an annoying compromise no matter which three pedals I chose, I'd rather not bother then if my pedalboard were to explode/ get stolen/ become too heavy for my wasted limbs to carry any more, I'd just go guitar->amp and it would be a completely different experience/ way of working.

For me the point of a pedal board is to contain all the pedals you want to take with you in a convenient, reliable, safe and easily transportable way, so it'd have to be a pretty huge pedalboard before I started wanting to make a smaller one.

• Members

i remove all the pedals from my board which are not needed for a specific gig, and take just with me what i need for the specific set list we agreed to play

next gig will be just wah->lbp1->ts9->sad1->dmmxo->holygrail

just 6 out of 13 i guess, maybe i could leave the wah at home also

less to carry, less to care what could fail, less spare parts/cable, easier trouble shooting if something fails

• Members

I'm building (planning on is probably more accurate) a smaller board. I put together a fun monstrosity board that is just not going to cut it if I ever play shows again.

The small board has tuner>Comp>OD>Dirt>Zoom G3>Reverb>Delay>looper + volume pedal.

I know, I should make it even smaller. :facepalm:

• Members

I have my regular board,

but for playing bass with a band I just grab a couple of pedals from it

and for casual jams with guitar I grab another 3 pedals

so my actual "board" never leaves home, it's waiting for me to find the noise-rock-techno band it deserves.

• Members

yup. second smaller board is mostly things that are too good to sell but have no room for on my main board for whatever reason.

Sorta this. My "regular" board:

850593ec-2.jpg

And then three pedals in my "collection" that don't really go on the board, but will get string together from time to time for fun.

d8402abf.jpg

• Members

theres nothing more essential and survival based than an extra collection of effect pedals. i dont see how anyone can sleep at night without a second string back up board with only 'essentials'.

could you imagine playing music without being able to recreate echoing whale farts in a large concert hall? [shudders]

• Members

I've got 3:

A) Stagefive with Peterson, Snarling Dogs Super Bawl, MXR Super Comp, BD-2 Keely Mod, TS-808, Wampler Paisley, Alter Ego, Volume (studio use primarily/some church)

B) Pedaltrain with M13, TU-2, Expression pedals (stays in my road case for my live show)

C) Pedaltrain mini I'm just now starting to put together that will be mostly 1590a size stuff to go into a mono case for teaching and church. Easy transport.

• Members

I don't play echoing whale farts haha. To be honet, SRV did just fine with only and OD and wah; Dean Deleo who in my opinion has the best tone in rock music, only uses OD, Chorus, and Wah; and I think Adam Dutkiewicz uses OD, delay, and noise supressor, though I'm not entirely sure on his particular rig.

I love having an all-out pedal board with every effects imaginable, but there is also an efficiency aspect to it. Tap dancing on your board while playing shows sucks. So many of the effects I use, I use to enhance or color a particular guitar part. However, a mellow solo with a chorus pedal does not lose anything when you play it clean with no other effects, especially when your audience has never heard your song to begin with.

Do you really need your Whammy pedal for the 2 octave higher pitch bend? You could easily do a quick strum of the strings above the nut on the headstock with overdrive and get a similar sound. The Whammy is one of my favorite pedals, but the pitch shifting effects can be done with simple tools.

This is more of a "hey want to jam in a bit" type of pedal board where you grab your guitar, "essentials" board, and combo amp. You can cary everything in one trip and stick it inside your car (even if you drive a small civic) haha.

Archived