Zoom G-Series Lounge

ck3

• Members

Given how well-liked similar offering by Line 6 have tended to be on these boards, (unless the search function is on the fritz again) I am surprised to find that Zoom's G3 and (especially) G5 processors haven't been discussed more frequently.

The feature set of the G5 includes delightfully oddball effects like bitcrushing, sitar emulation, early reflection reverb, granular sampling, sample-hold filters, and all sorts of vintage and psuedo-boutiquey modulation models. In addition, the G5 has a compact footprint, 60 second looper, input setting for stompbox use, and footswitchable tube-driven booster designed for use with amplifiers.

The brief period of time I have spent with my G5 has brought to mind the golden olden days of my 20+ pedal noise board. I have been using it direct into headphones or a FRFR setup with onboard amp models, so I am not certain how well the G5 interfaces with a real amp. Are there any other Zoom G-series users out there? If so, please share your experiences. :wave:

• Members

Given how well-liked similar offering by Line 6 have tended to be on these boards, (unless the search function is on the fritz again) I am surprised to find that Zoom's G3 and (especially) G5 processors haven't been discussed more frequently.

I'm not. Zoom get given a rough deal by many users, not perhaps unfairly given some of their earlier efforts. However the G3 is {censored}ing stellar and I've just rebought one to use a weird noisebox :)

• Members

I rebought a G2 and still love it. They're so easy to dial in a good sound. I don't get how these companies are bringing out so many 'just like a stompbox!' solutions. I've had a load of multifx's in my time, and never wished they were like a stompbox.

• Members

I bought the G3 when it came out specifically because of the looper and synced drums. It hasn't disappointed me. I just acquired a G5 but haven't put much time in yet. Although I already know what to expect. I also have an HD500 but haven't had a chance to do a head to head compare.

IMO the G5 is the most for the money you can get.

• Members

I've have the G2. One of the best buys for what I could afford. I use it through my amp's FX loop, mainly for EQ, reverb/delay, pitch shifting, and post distortion compression. It's a good team player with my drive pedals, and it's so easy to use. Disconnected from the rig, it's a great stand alone unit for practicing at night with headphones so I don't disturb the neighbors. The drum machine feature is cool; I hate the boring click of a metronome.

• Members

I love my G2.1nu!!! I use it in the loop for effects only (delay, reverb, chorus, tremolo, flanger, phaser, harmonizer, etc...)

I'm extremely happy with it!

2012-04-20210857.jpg

And for my acoustic gigs I use the A2.1u... sounds like a million bucks! I admit the reverb isn't the smoothest.. but it still sounds very good.

Here's a demo I did of it:

[video=youtube;f7bieh52dhA]

DSC05183.jpg

• Members
Once you have recorded a loop on the G3 can you change the loop tempo? And do you need to have the drum machine playing when you use the looper?

IIRC correctly you cannot change the tempo, and the drums are not required.

• Members
"......because of the looper and synced drums....."

So do the G3's effects sync up with the drums? i.e like the trem, the throb of the vibe or the quack of the auto wah?

I believe it does set the FX as well, but I'm not sure if it's all of them.

• Members

I'm not. Zoom get given a rough deal by many users, not perhaps unfairly given some of their earlier efforts. However the G3 is {censored}ing stellar and I've just rebought one to use a weird noisebox
:)

+1. If your into experimental stuff at all, there is not better bargain on the planet. Works great for traditional effects as well. Honestly, even the amp modeling is totally usable. Really a fantastic value and all around very good sounding unit.

• Members

g9 user here. moved up from a gfx5, so familiarity w/controls and the patch change speed were maj factors. took a chance on the tubes and it paid off. haven't even scratched the surface (and i should) of its possibilities. the double pedals have paid their way several times over. but the new stuff prolly eat mine for lunch...

• Members

I love my G2.1nu!!!

I've been a 'Zoom Man' since I bought their PFX-9003 headphone amp.

(the 'Wide' effect in it is to DIE for, when output in stereo)

I have the above, AND a G1N and a G2nu. (can't wait to get a G3)

Their Amp Sims really work for me, and their UI is the best, imo.

http://guitarpatches.com/patches.php?unit=G1N

http://guitarpatches.com/patches.php?unit=G2N

http://guitarpatches.com/patches.php?unit=g3

http://guitarpatches.com/patches.php?unit=G5

• Members

g9 user here. moved up from a gfx5, so familiarity w/controls and the patch change speed were maj factors. took a chance on the tubes and it paid off. haven't even scratched the surface (and i should) of its possibilities. the double pedals have paid their way several times over. but the new stuff prolly eat mine for lunch...

How significantly do the tubes seem to affect tone in the G9? The tube boost in the G5 is located after the preamp, so practical use is limited without tweaking of internal trimpots and/or running the unit into an amplifier.

To G2 owners: How is the Zoom Digital Fuzz effect on the G2? Does it seem similar to bitcrushing? The description is intriguing.

• Members

It appears there is an external control input jack. Can external footswitches be attached to the unit or is this only for an expression pedal?

It can handle both, but not at the same time.

Btw, I found a Zoom Forum, which would better serve Zoom multi-fx users than this place, but it was all but dead.

I wish HC would make multi-fx discussions a part of the Rack Forum instead of this zoo. (they're more similar anyways)

Archived