Boss OD1

thom

• Members

Can't find a decent quality youtube video to save my life:mad:

I'm guessing it's an untweakable medium gain overdrive, probably perfect for generic blooz licks...Right? Not a fan of tubescreamers btw, so if it's similar I might have to pass.

How does it do pushing crunchy power toobs a bit more? I like to think my style is pretty f*cking far from boring blooz noodling:lol:

Looking for a change to my ruetz'd rat, for no reason in particular. Basicaly it's just my gas and my vintage boss addiction getting the best of me...:facepalm:

Don't know sh*t about the different versions and the value/collectibility. Let's say I've got my eye on a $100ish 'black label' one, from the early '80s. Is it flippable for that price? Seems steep, but though I'm really into old boss peds, I'm clueless when it comes to the OD-1.

Yay or nay? Cheers.

• Members

one has a 14 pin chip, one has an 8 pin chip (I think I've got that right), the 1 pin chip version is the more sought after. supposedly they sound a little different. I have one, it's a little lean in the bottom end, but if you're pushing an already overdriven amp, that's not so bad.

$100.00 for the 14 pin unit is a good price, it's a fair price for the other one.

if you're looking to add crunch, I'd get a vintage DS-1, forget what the haters say, they sound amazing into a driven amp.

• Members

I have one MIJ Black Jabel w/ JRC4558 chip and it's a pretty unique OD. By unique I mean I personally don't like it at all...It's not really tuberscreamery because of the harder clipping circuit, the mid hump is pretty crazy, and it cuts bass and low end like a mofo.

For your purposes running it into an already cooking amp it will sound cool, but into a clean amp it sounds like ass IMO. It's definitely got that odd 80's crunchy feel to it. It can be awesome for cutting leads I've found. IDK if you'd dig it over a ruetz mod rat though.

FWIW I've been trying to flip mine at tgp for quite a few months now at $110 and nobody wants it :lol:

I might be able to get a clip for you when I get out of work today, but it will be into a clean amp to not piss my neighbors off...

• Members

Thanks.

I'm afraid you can count me in with those DS1 haters btw Reauchambeau...It sound harsh, shrill, fizzy and cold impo, instant bees in a jar.

I think I'll just give it a try. Still no idea if I'll dig it, so anyone looking for one: Keep yer eyes on the spam thread:lol:

• Members

Thanks.

I'm afraid you can count me in with those DS1 haters btw Reauchambeau...It sound harsh, shrill, fizzy and cold impo, instant bees in a jar.

I think I'll just give it a try. Still no idea if I'll dig it, so anyone looking for one: Keep yer eyes on the spam thread:lol:

the key with a DS-1 is to let the amp do the heavy lifting, and give it a push with the DS-1, keeping the tone knob below noon and the distortion knob below noon, like a boost. if you allow the pedal to take over, yes it can sound like ass. it can also sound geat. the same principles apply to the OD-1 imo, it's a great for boosting an amp but not a great "this pedal is my tone" pedal.

Archived