Hey Phil

• Members

I'm curious - what does a tape (with music recorded on it, obviously) sound like if there have been holes cut in it? Do you know, by any chance?

I was watching a documentary on Einsturzende Neubauten and they talked about doing exactly that with one of the tapes - but nothing was said about what it sounded like.

I'm curious - what does a tape (with music recorded on it, obviously) sound like if there have been holes cut in it? Do you know, by any chance?

I was watching a documentary on Einsturzende Neubauten and they talked about doing exactly that with one of the tapes - but nothing was said about what it sounded like.

Sure - I can tell you exactly what it sounds like. It sounds like nothing. IOW, whenever the tape is cut away, you will hear nothing. The audio can be muted / gated through the editing. The characteristics of the mute can be adjusted with editing techniques. For example. the length of the mute is determined by the length of the gap and tape speed. You can time it based on the BPM of the music and the tape deck speed in IPS. You can also abruptly edit with a 90 degree cut, or do a more gradual ("faded") edit with a angular cut. All of this is quite common in Musique concr

• Members

Yeah, I was talking about not full cuts, but more like holes punched in the tape. I have an old Fostex tape cassette portastudio that I doubt I'll ever use conventionally, and was wondering what I could do with the tape itself.

Well, use your imagination. If the tape is cut all the way across all the tracks cut out, so if the tape just has a hole that goes some of the way across only some tracks will cut out/ fade.

That's what my imagination tells me.

Archived