John and George vs. Paul

goodhonk

These are the three songs off Ram that John reportedly heard things about him in the lyrics. Paul only admits to two lines in "Too Many People" - the one about the lucky break, and the other about "preaching practices." Of course, whether or not they included insults to John, John's "reply" was brilliant and classic John - tough, witty and acerbic. Feud or not, How Do You Sleep stands as a classic IMO.

"]

"]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJcH9bmY3gs

Macca probably had Brian Wilson on the brain for that last one moreso than John. :lol:

Hasn't Paul openly admitted
Dear Boy
was about John and Cynthia?

I also vaguely remember reading somewhere that it was about Linda's ex. :idk: According to Wiki, there are only two specific references to John in songs on Ram that Paul admits to, although the image of the two copulating beetles on the back cover of Ram is certainly easily understood.

According to Wiki:

Feud

The back cover

According to Peter Brown, John Lennon believed that a number of songs on Ram contained jibes aimed at him, particularly "Too Many People" and "Dear Boy".[9] Brown also described the picture of two beetles copulating on the back cover as symbolic of how Paul McCartney felt the other Beatles were treating him.[9] George Harrison and Ringo Starr were said to consider the track "3 Legs" as an attack on them and Lennon[10] ("Three Legs" being McCartney's nickname for his former band-mates).

McCartney later claimed that only two lines in "Too Many People" were directed at Lennon. "In one song, I wrote, 'Too many people preaching practices,' I think is the line. I mean, that was a little dig at John and Yoko. There wasn't anything else on [Ram] that was about them. Oh, there was 'You took your lucky break and broke it in two.'"[11]

As well as conducting a war of words via Britain's music press,[10] Lennon's response was the scathing "How Do You Sleep?",[9] and it has been considered too that "Crippled Inside", also from his Imagine album, was directed at McCartney.[10][12] Early editions of Imagine included a postcard of Lennon pulling the ears of a pig in a parody of Ram's cover photograph of McCartney holding a ram by the horns.[13]

Source.

Archived