Up to four pedals and a 20w tweed amp

• Members

Playing many styles of music mainly with a Telecaster and the occasional Gibson, what pedals would you choose playing with a Tungsten Crema Wheat? I am in the process of making a pedaltrain mini board with a Pedal Power ISO 5. I want to limit myself to up to four pedals. I usually use an overdrive and delay, but want to see what others would use.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

if I had to run four of my current pedals into a tweed amp (one day I want a tweed-style amp), I would run:

microvibe-> rat -> DMM -> demeter reverbulator

my only amp now is a BF fender, so I use a totally different board with 9 pedals and some more pedals off to the side when I'm at home. Clean amps lend themselves better to tons of effects, imo, since you can really hear them (the effects). That said, it would be equally amusing to use four pedals into a tweed amp.

• Members

Totally biased opinion below:

Turbo Tuner -> Naga Viper -> Pareidolia -> AR20DL

Turbo Tuner because well, it's the best tuner ever

Naga Viper because it's got a pretty useful EQ that blends well with a tweed amp in my experience

Pareidolia because it's a unique modulation pedal that can cover decent amounts of ground and blends well with tweed circuits

AR20DL because it's bright enough to cut with a tweed and still has nice analog warmth to it

That amp. I want one bad. I'm a vintage snob and proud of it, but gotdamn that thing sounds INCREDIBLE.

• Members

Fuzz Face > Klon(e) > DL-4 > WET

I don't have a Crema Wheat, but I do have a handwired ptp 5e3 clone. Aside from the fact it is probably way too loud of an amp to use at home, I feel like the 4 pedals above, or something similar, are the bare bones setup I'd want with this amp. No one above mentioned reverb, but I feel that its kind of essential (for my sound anyway). Of course, if you have the luxury of being able to really crank that amp, you won't really need the first two dirts in my proposed chain. :D

• Members

Fuzz Face > Klon(e) > DL-4 > WET

I don't have a Crema Wheat, but I do have a handwired ptp 5e3 clone. Aside from the fact it is probably way too loud of an amp to use at home, I feel like the 4 pedals above, or something similar, are the bare bones setup I'd want with this amp. No one above mentioned reverb, but I feel that its kind of essential (for my sound anyway). Of course, if you have the luxury of being able to really crank that amp, you won't really need the first two dirts in my proposed chain.
:D

The Flint (Strymon) is BOTH a reverb and tremolo pedal in one. Making a small board more diverse by offering both of these effects in one box.

• Members

Polytune mini

Midfi Demo Tape Fuzz/Blackout Mantra OD with low gain switch mod

Boss DD-7

Flint :idk:

or

Polytune Mini

Midfi Demo Tape Fuzz/Blackout Mantra OD with log gain switch mod

Boss CE-2

Boss RV-3

or

Dunlop 535q Wah

Demo Tape Fuzz/Blackout Mantra OD

Boss RV-3

Polytune Mini

• Members

The Flint (Strymon) is BOTH a reverb and tremolo pedal in one. Making a small board more diverse by offering both of these effects in one box.

My bad IRG! I am not as familiar with the Strymon stuff.

I hear you on using a versatile pedal for multiple sounds. Its funny how no one has mentioned the M9 yet, when that usually gets thrown into the "small board" discussions pretty early on. Maybe it would be too much of a travesty in front of an amp like that... :idk:

• Members

Hmm I've played the Crema Wheat quite a few times and I'm pretty sure it's appeal is it's amazing OD to near Fuzz capabilities soooo if it were me I'd just do:

TU-2

Analogman ARDX20

Maybe I'm boring but I don't see the point in boosts, OD's or Fuzz in an amp that has been specifically designed to make the most gnarly beautiful overdriven tones you'll ever hear. Damn I love that thing.

• Members

A boost

A fuzz

A delay

A trem

This man speaks truth!

Don't bother with overdrives/distortions. That's like putting ketchup on a good steak.

You could even skip the fuzz, depending on how much you crank it.

Also, don't bother with reverb. Those cabinets resonate so nicely you won't need it.

• Members

This man speaks truth!

Don't bother with overdrives/distortions. That's like putting ketchup on a good steak.

You could even skip the fuzz, depending on how much you crank it.

Also, don't bother with reverb. Those cabinets resonate so nicely you won't need it.

Not sure I agree with the reverb claim. Really depends on the type of reverb you have, and the listening environment. The new Supernatural has such a good spring and plate reverb, getting all of the ambient type reverbs is an added bonus, and no cabinet can cop this effect. I don't own the Flint, but demos sound great, and getting tremolo with nice reverb modes is an added bonus.

I can understand you not wanting an overdrive with this amp. Something like the Timmy or Mayflower though or the Catalinbread Naga Viper really just add to the overall flavor of the amp, they're aren't masking or hiding, but rather enhancing. Like a good steak with the right seasonings, not ketsup :)

• Members

Reverb will sound like crap if you turn the amp up. It'll compress and get overwhelming. The professional trick is a delay in front, some slapback to liven up the sound and it works great with the amp cranked.

My go to small board with my 1960 Tweed Deluxe was a compressor (for chicken-pickin' and slide work), an overdrive (when more "umph!" was needed), and delay (for slapback or to fill out leads). I suppose I might add a subtle phaser to that for thicken up some parts if needed.

• Members

Reverb will sound like crap if you turn the amp up. It'll compress and get overwhelming. The professional trick is a delay in front, some slapback to liven up the sound and it work great with the amp cranked.

My go to small board with my 1960 Tweed Deluxe was a compressor (for chicken-pickin' and slide work), an overdrive (when more "umph!" was needed), and delay (for slapback or to fill out leads). I suppose I might add a subtle phaser to that for thicken up some parts if needed.

Wyatt gets it.

Archived