OT -- Ever seen Mercury, the planet?

Phil O'Keefe

Of all the planets in our solar system, five (not counting the earth) can be viewed with the unaided eye. However, due to its proximity to the sun, Mercury can be very difficult to view, and many people go their entire life without ever seeing it. If you're willing to get up early (just before sunrise) this morning (Thursday) you can actually see it fairly easily due to its location in its orbit.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/48683086#.UCyGPEJI2Yc

• Members

My second favorite inferior planet :lol:

It is/will be easy to see. Get up 1-1.5hr before sunrise(depending on your location), find Venus and Jupiter (the two brightest bodies in the sky at the time) and draw a line through them towards the horizon and there Mercury will be! It is visible throughout mid-August, but will be brightest tomorrow/this morning.

• Members

My second favorite inferior planet
:lol:

It is/will be easy to see. Get up 1-1.5hr (depending on your location), find Venus and Jupiter (the two brightest bodies in the sky at the time) and draw a line through them towards the horizon and there Mercury will be! It is visible throughout mid-August, but will be brightest tomorrow/this morning.

Awesome! I see Venus and Jupiter perfectly when I'm leaving for work in the morning.

My second favorite inferior planet

Venusian. :rolleyes::D

It is/will be easy to see. Get up 1-1.5hr before sunrise(depending on your location), find Venus and Jupiter (the two brightest bodies in the sky at the time) and draw a line through them towards the horizon and there Mercury will be! It is visible throughout mid-August, but will be brightest tomorrow/this morning.

Great advice! :phil: Sunrise here is at 0616. I'll see what I can see at 0430-0500. Aka - oh-dark-thirty. :lol:

• Members

Venusian.
:rolleyes::D

Great advice! :phil: Sunrise here is at 0616. I'll see what I can see at 0430-0500. Aka - oh-dark-thirty.

Hey! Venus is a cool planet. The brightest thing in the sky besides the sun and the moon! Brighter than any star. It's also the only planet that rotates clockwise in our solar system as well. If it wasn't for 95% carbon dioxide atmosphere and the crushing pressure, I'd go!

Did you see anything? I'm going to look tomorrow as I'm driving down to Hanford :cry: :cry: :cry:

• Members

Did anyone catch the meteor shower the other night? Saw a ton of them streaking across the sky. Tried to get pics but they didn't turn out good at all.

We have a moon garden at our school... got together a bunch of friends and layout in it watching the meteor shower! It was pretty good, a lot of really slow movers.

• Members

Astrophotography is something I'd like to get into!

once took a pic of venus and jupiter in a single shot, then cropped them closer to each-other

3089833676_336930c307_b.jpg

it's a pretty crazy feeling when you see planets are actual spheres rather than sizeless points of light in the sky!

• Members

Astrophotography is something I'd like to get into!

once took a pic of venus and jupiter in a single shot, then cropped them closer to each-other

3089833676_336930c307_b.jpg

it's a pretty crazy feeling when you see planets are actual spheres rather than sizeless points of light in the sky!

Nice! My ex-gf was way into astrophotography. Have you ever seen Saturn through a telescope? We had a few observatories at my previous school, and being able to see saturn and the rings was the coolest thing I've seen through my eyeballs. Highly recommended if you want to feel small.

• Members

Nice! My ex-gf was way into astrophotography. Have you ever seen Saturn through a telescope? We had a few observatories at my previous school, and being able to see saturn and the rings was the coolest thing I've seen through my eyeballs. Highly recommended if you want to feel small.

Haven't looked through a telescope in a decade.... :/ I've seen saturn though, both as a dot and as a vaguely shaped thing though a good camera lens. Just a couple weeks ago, I was looking at smallish beginner mirror telescopes. I might be better off with a powerful mirror lens for my M4/3 camera

• Members

I've seen Uranus, Saturn, Jupiter, Mars and Venus through my telescope, but I've never had the fortune of catching Mercury. I've got nowhere nearby with a good flat western horizon. I live on the east coast though (like five minutes walk from the sea), so I could easily get up early to see it then but

Archived