Vibrola muthaf***a

Hiwatt Bob

• Members

so i added a lyre vibrola to my '60's firebird non-reverse. pretty dohp--i went with the longer one instead of the short vibrola like the orig. sounds great!

also, a little while back i wired it so the 3 knobs on the bottom are volume knobs corresponding to each pickup. the middle is a push/pull--engaging the middle pu in any of the pickup selector positions when the vol is pulled up. the knob by itself is a master tone.

FD6080AB-4211-4225-8522-8E27EEA92B70-992

56E0816B-C002-4697-AE5C-3A7CE5CA698A-992

• Members

Wow that looks great, Bob! I also love the wiring (though I could live without the push pull.) I'm a fan of simple wiring, I tried to wire my Tele Custom to have 1 volume for each pickup, then a master tone, and no switch. Simple. But I {censored}ed it up somehow :( When I get a new bridge pup I'll have to look into it.

• Members

Wow that looks great, Bob! I also love the wiring (though I could live without the push pull.) I'm a fan of simple wiring, I tried to wire my Tele Custom to have 1 volume for each pickup, then a master tone, and no switch. Simple. But I {censored}ed it up somehow :( When I get a new bridge pup I'll have to look into it.

• Members

Sexy. I kinda wish more 3 pickup guitar were wired that way too. Sounds cool. So there's no pickup selector at all, and you just blend in each with the vol knobs?

Switch is obscured by the Vibrola's handle - you can see the two mounting screws.

• Members

no sir.

You ahve acheived hats-on-zebras coolness.

Next up: the
right
hats on the zebras.

meh, this guitar has zero "investment" value--so i wasn't concerned with getting exactly the correct short vibrola. i always liked the looks of the longer lyre ones.

• Members

It's not an offset.
:mad:

Vibrolas look great. How well does it stay in tune?

how is it not an offset?

stays in tune great--i have zero issues with vibrola's staying in tune. in fact i think they're the second best trem system (2nd only to the JM/jag trem). i think people that have trouble with vibrola's either aren't doing it right (ie dive-bombing) or have nut issues. as long as you lube the nut and saddle grooves, you should have zero issues.

• Members

how is it not an offset?

stays in tune great--i have zero issues with vibrola's staying in tune. in fact i think they're the second best trem system (2nd only to the JM/jag trem). i think people that have trouble with vibrola's either aren't doing it right (ie dive-bombing) or have nut issues. as long as you lube the nut and saddle grooves, you should have zero issues.

Because they don't really have an offset waist.

That's interesting because I always hear about how much of a tuning nightmare they are. Good to know, as they look so badass. :thu:

What is the original wiring setup?

• Members

I have a few questions...

What is offset and non offset referring to?

Is that the same vibrola I would put on my SG Special?

Where did you get it and how much?

What do you lube the bridge pieces with?

Does Loobs do your nuts as well?

Nice guitar!

Archived