OT: Sacrifising two electrics for a new acoustic gtr?

thom

• Members

This one pretty much haunts my dreams:

Martin-000-15.jpg

I can snatch one for slightly less than what it normally goes for new. Full warranty, mintcond, just missing the original papers and packaging...

I find myself playing acoustic more than I play electric. Love my taylor BT2 to death, but it sure ain't the same as a real full size acoustic...

I know it's mainly cause it's summer, I just sit outside a lot these days...

But try telling that to my GAS:s

Anyway, I'd have to get rid of a couple of my neglected electrics if I wanna do this, so I'd like to hear from people that know this model better than I do...

Opinions? Cheers.

• Members

Something to consider with a Martin: original owner gets a lifetime warranty, and if it's a good one, you will keep it for the rest of your life. If anything goes wrong, they fix it for free. I had to take my D-18 in once after owning it for about 20 years, and may need to again.

FWIW, I like my D-18 way better than my OOO-35, or any of my electrics for that matter. The D-18 is the one thing I'd grab on the way out of a burning building.

• Members

Thanks guys. I'm e-mailing the store, cause apparantly the guitar has a crack on the side, which is supposed to be beautifully repaired my a skilled professional and all...But still, the $200 discount doesn't seem so spectacular anymore, at least not when I compare it to the price of a new one. I'm gonna see if they can mail me a pic, and if they'll willing to come down with that price a bit, but I don't expect much from a big store like this one.

I'd have to get rid of a couple electrics anyway, so it's probably not a bad idea to just look for a used one instead...

• Members

Sorta similar...

I've ALWAYS wanted a G&L ASAT Special - ever since I first heard one played on stage, that was a dream guitar. Well, I didn't have enough money for one, so I had just gotten 2 cheaper guitars (over time). They were great guitars in there own right, but they just never got played. Anytime I reached for one, I always grabbed my Benford DC; it just sounded and played better than either my Reverend Flatroc or Benford Tele. It was also 3x the cost of either of them, and worth every penny. So I decided I needed to finally get my ASAT. I ended up finding a GREAT deal on a 'used' Special on EBay, and after selling both the Reverend and Tele, they both paid for the cost of the ASAT, and now I've got 2 dream guitars as opposed to 1 dream guitar and 2 good guitars.

So if you've got a couple guitars you rarely or never play and you've got the opportunity to get a dream guitar - go for it. You won't regret it. :thu:

Archived