Modular Synths

A.P. Ryder

• Members

I don't know a damned thing about electronics, but I'm trying to understand why people need these monster modular synths to make bloops and bleeps. The things look cool as hell, but how would you even go about starting to build one without having an engineering degree from MIT and unlimited funds? I've really been trying to "get it" with my own research into these things, but I just don't get it.

I guess I should post this in the synth forum, but they would probably start hitting me hard with jargon I wouldn't understand. Any ideas?

By the way, this is starting to be my favorite site: www.matrixsynth.com

• Members

That is a good site. It's been a great resource for years.

Think about modular synths in the same way that you would think about a modular pedal system. They are almost a complete throwback in his day and age, especially with the capabilities of software. Yet, if you want the hands on experience, they are necessary! 95% of synth sounds are pretty easily realized with most modern programmable synthesizers. Modular Synths get you that last 5% of capability.

• Members

Well, I really dig the Rene and the touch pads by Make Noise. But if I ever got them I have no idea what do do with them, how to set them up, what I would need, etc. I am beyond stupid with these things.

BTY, thanks all for your input!

I haven't looked into modular synths in a few years to see what all is new. That Rene looks really cool, but also really complex. It doesn't help that there aren't any markings on the top of it, and most of the videos on here of it just mostly look like the user is trying to understand what is happening too. :D

• Members

Ii have been working on some modules to be used either tabletop or on your pedal board for guitarists looking for some modular synth/noise action. I have done prototypes for oscillators, filters, envelope generator, LFO, sequencer, effects and they can all be daisy-chained like pedals and patched together using 3.5mm jacks. This is my first module to be released by end of year, the cubist OCHO Scatterdrone!

bb92dafcbdca11e18cf91231380fd29b_6.jpg

You can check out sound clips on mah SoundCloud... http://soundcloud.com/cubisteffects

• Members

I used to build analog synth modules but eventually lost interest. One reason is In my opinion the tone of digital synths is often equal to analog and of course they keep getting more advanced. Now in terms of control that's a different issue, some people just liked the system of using control voltage and the ability to throw other equipment in the middle, or modify parts.

Archived