Old Rack Delays, Post your favorites!

dZjupp

• Members

you know, the old Ibanez, Roland/Boss, Digitech/Dod rack delays,

post your favorites and why.

i know the Vortex isn't too old, but i've always wanted a Lexicon Vortex

Others i like are the SDE series and the Ibanez DM series.

post your vids too if you have them

• Members

I don't have many pics of mine other than in the context of the whole studio, but here's a list of what I do have. I love me some old rack delays.

Deltalab Effectron ADM 64 - has doubling and flanging as well. good for giving something a bit more presence.

Electrix Mofx Multi FX (x2) - The delay in these is awesome. You can assign them to pre selected frequency bands. Only want to filter the mids or the highs and the mids? No problem! It doesn't feedback really, but you can make it grab a loop in real time by popping it in and out and then maxing the repeats. Tap tempo too. :) twisting the delay time and repeats makes for some wild, warped out glitches.

Ibanez AD202 Multimode Analog Delay - Probably my favorite delay. Analog delay with modulation. It might as well be it's own instrument. I've used it as such at a few shows.

Ibanez HD1500 Digital Delay - Harmonizer, and Digidelay. I love that you can set a quick delay time on it, and then double and quadruple the delay time at the push of a button. Makes for some glitchy weirdness when you cycle it back from a long delay time back to the shortest setting. Sort of zippering effect. It is unique, and probably unintended...

Ibanez DM1000 Digital Delay - I bought this a while back for cheap, and haven't had time to plug it in due to my recent move. It should be cool though. Typical 80's digidelay with modulation.

Line6 Echo Pro Delay - great studio tool. I mainly use it for the filtered delay, or the echoplex model. Sometimes analog delay too.

Korg SDD-3000 - Used to use it on vocals ala Skinny Puppy. Worked great for twisting things. Has lots of unique modulation options. Currently non-functional. Needs repair.

Deltalab AcoustiComputer - Some freaky rack delay I picked up cheap and have wanted to fix for a LONG time. Has some very unique capabilities on it. Some day...

• Members

I don't have many pics of mine other than in the context of the whole studio, but here's a list of what I do have. I love me some old rack delays.

Deltalab Effectron ADM 64 - has doubling and flanging as well. good for giving something a bit more presence.

Electrix Mofx Multi FX (x2) - The delay in these is awesome. You can assign them to pre selected frequency bands. Only want to filter the mids or the highs and the mids? No problem! It doesn't feedback really, but you can make it grab a loop in real time by popping it in and out and then maxing the repeats. Tap tempo too.
:)
twisting the delay time and repeats makes for some wild, warped out glitches.

Ibanez AD202 Multimode Analog Delay - Probably my favorite delay. Analog delay with modulation. It might as well be it's own instrument. I've used it as such at a few shows.

Ibanez HD1500 Digital Delay - Harmonizer, and Digidelay. I love that you can set a quick delay time on it, and then double and quadruple the delay time at the push of a button. Makes for some glitchy weirdness when you cycle it back from a long delay time back to the shortest setting. Sort of zippering effect. It is unique, and probably unintended...

Ibanez DM1000 Digital Delay - I bought this a while back for cheap, and haven't had time to plug it in due to my recent move. It should be cool though. Typical 80's digidelay with modulation.

Line6 Echo Pro Delay - great studio tool. I mainly use it for the filtered delay, or the echoplex model. Sometimes analog delay too.

Korg SDD-3000 - Used to use it on vocals ala Skinny Puppy. Worked great for twisting things. Has lots of unique modulation options. Currently non-functional. Needs repair.

Deltalab AcoustiComputer - Some freaky rack delay I picked up cheap and have wanted to fix for a LONG time. Has some very unique capabilities on it. Some day...

great post, thanks!

• Members

Roland SDE-330: tons of delay options--reverse, multi-tap, did all sorts of other things like chorus, pitch, flange, doubling, inverse and I had bought it for $100. I would still have it had I not decided to start a pedalboard. Does give a slight volume boost when engaged.

Lexicon LXP-15 II: Reverbs were its specialty, but the delays were pretty good, too. Excellent modulated delay. Sold it for the same reason as the Roland.

• Members

isnt that the one that makes the breakdown at the end of karma police?

mine would be the aria rex-100 and the
boss microrack pitchshifter rps-10 reverse delay

i came in here to say this - reverse, hold, and delay, pretty cool little unit

• Members

I think the one I have is a Digitech RDS 3.6 or something. Well worth the 25.00 bucks it cost me. I really like the doubling affect.

The RDS delays are great! The 8000 and 7.6 are like a PDS8000 and 20/20 together in rack form.

I love the Vortex too...but I would love to have a Plugin version of it.

I had a 4 second Ibanez Delay, dd100 I think, that was pretty neat. The modulation was really wide, and I remember getting a neat arpeggio thing out of it.

Lexicon LXP-15 II: Reverbs were its specialty, but the delays were pretty good, too. Excellent modulated delay. Sold it for the same reason as the Roland.

I've got one, but it's temperamental and glitchy and doesn't work right half the time, so it's basically just taking up rack space - I hardly ever use it anymore. And that brings up a real issue with older rackmount effects - servicing them can be a major issue, especially since many manufacturers no longer support them due to their advanced age - getting parts and software updates / ROM chips can often be difficult. Caveat emptor!

AMS DMX 15-80S

ams-dmx15-80-s-delay.montreal.frisson.jp

Man, I'd love to have one of those. It's the one Martin Hannett used.

Go into any world-class, "major" studio, and you're bound to find at least one of those in the racks, usually alongside an late 70s / early 80s era AMS RMX-16 reverb. They were both very popular back then... but getting them serviced / repaired today is... difficult. :( Which is why I've never bought either one of them. They're still not inexpensive on the used market, and it's too much money to risk IMO on something that old that could, in theory, go belly-up at any time in a way that can't be easily fixed.

• Members

you know, the old Ibanez, Roland/Boss, Digitech/Dod rack delays,

post your favorites and why.

i know the Vortex isn't too old, but i've always wanted a
Lexicon Vortex

Others i like are the SDE series and the Ibanez DM series.

post your vids too if you have them

the vortex is definitely a crazy machine. honestly, the 'non delay' stuff can get insane. i wish someone would reissue or copy it and put it in to a pedal format (maybe something like the magicstomp layout). if you have an opportunity to buy or try one out go for it!

this is an awesome demo (not mine):

[YOUTUBE]E_06JY6glRw[/YOUTUBE]

Archived