Best TWEED simulation pedal?

stunningbabe

• Members

I have tried the GT2's Tweed mode. It sounds realy good and sweet. I dont use a guitar amp for gigs as I want to lighten my load.

I can play mainly Clean tones..without any Overdrive or Distortion.

I was looking at the Fender FDR-1 and FBM-1...but sadly...both do not have amp simulation....so I cant get a decent tone when plugged into a the Mixer.

Is the GT2 the best TWEDD simulated pedal now....or are there other options?

Again....I do NOT play with dirty tone. I play only with Clean tone smile.gif

Can you recommend a good unit that has AMP SIMULATION?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Quote Originally Posted by stunningbabe View Post
Is the GT2 the best TWEED simulated pedal now....or are there other options?

Again....I do NOT play with dirty tone. I play only with Clean tone smile.gif

Can you recommend a good unit that has AMP SIMULATION?
Tech 21 introduced a newer range - their Character series - a few years back with each pedal/preamp aiming to cover a certain amp family...

The Blonde is the Fender pedal, and it is fantastic. It can (with a little tweaking) easily achieve pretty much any Fender amp tone you want, and can go from completely clean to surprisingly driven.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ1BP5N-ADDnMk5oIUA7Rn

It has built in speaker simulation and sounds great for direct recording or when used through a full range PA system. (The updated V2 model has a switch so you can turn the speaker simulation off and use it as a normal pedal through an amp.)

• Members

If you want speaker simulation the Tech 21 is the way to go, a bit tricky to dial in but an awesome pedal.

I own the Catalinbread Formula 5 and it is awesome as well, the key to this pedal is to lower your volume on the guitar if you want it to clean up a little bit.

Wampler has come out with the Tweed '57 and the Burgerman demo on it sounds really good.

Another suggestion you hear often is the Menatone Dirty Blonde.

Lovepedal makes the Les Luis that is pretty decent as well.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by kpd78 View Post
Tech 21 introduced a newer range - their Character series - a few years back with each pedal/preamp aiming to cover a certain amp family...

The Blonde is the Fender pedal, and it is fantastic. It can (with a little tweaking) easily achieve pretty much any Fender amp tone you want, and can go from completely clean to surprisingly driven.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ1BP5N-ADDnMk5oIUA7Rn

It has built in speaker simulation and sounds great for direct recording or when used through a full range PA system. (The updated V2 model has a switch so you can turn the speaker simulation off and use it as a normal pedal through an amp.)
Does it sound like a Fender Bassman...or more like a Fender Twin amp?

• Members

Do you need speaker sim, etc.?

As someone who owed a few real Tweeds, the most convincing Tweed tones I've gotten were out of the old Yamaha DG Stomp, very natural and 10 time better than any other digital modeller. I could dial in pretty much a perfect much for the cleans on my '0 Deluxe and the dirt and switch between them.

If we need analog solid-state only...the Tech 21 Blonde is certainly the most versatile. The Wampler and Catalin Bread are really nice, but are designed to be in front of an amp, so there isn't any speaker/cab sim built in.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
Do you need speaker sim, etc.?

As someone who owed a few real Tweeds, the most convincing Tweed tones I've gotten were out of the old Yamaha DG Stomp, very natural and 10 time better than any other digital modeller. I could dial in pretty much a perfect much for the cleans on my '0 Deluxe and the dirt and switch between them.

If we need analog solid-state only...the Tech 21 Blonde is certainly the most versatile. The Wampler and Catalin Bread are really nice, but are designed to be in front of an amp, so there isn't any speaker/cab sim built in.
Thx sir...but I am an analog fan :-)

Quote Originally Posted by stunningbabe View Post

Wow...this is a brilliant sounding video of the Tweed 57. Can the BLONDE pedal beat this?
I watched about half of that... and you're right. It does sound very, very good. Can the Tech 21 Blonde "beat" that? I don't know - that would be completely subjective. However, I feel it can easily hang with that in terms of the quality of tones and type of tone. Plus, it has the ability to stay completely clean. The Wampler, as good as it is, always has some grit to the sound, as the reviewer points out in the demo video you linked to. Since you said you "play clean" (which BTW is, IMHO, missing more than half the fun of what a tweed amp does best), I thought the Blonde would be an excellent choice for you since it is capable of going from completely clean to very dirty, depending on how you have the character and drive knobs set.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Phil O'Keefe

View Post

I watched about half of that... and you're right. It does sound very, very good. Can the Tech 21 Blonde "beat" that? I don't know - that would be completely subjective. However, I feel it can easily hang with that in terms of the quality of tones and type of tone. Plus, it has the ability to stay completely clean. The Wampler, as good as it is, always has some grit to the sound, as the reviewer points out in the demo video you linked to. Since you said you "play clean" (which BTW is, IMHO, missing more than half the fun of what a tweed amp does best), I thought the Blonde would be an excellent choice for you since it is capable of going from completely clean to very dirty, depending on how you have the character and drive knobs set.

Thank you sir for your effort in explaining this to me. I am not a good guitarist like a lot of you folks here. It is rather easy to play dirty compared to clean...so I thought it will be better to be able to play clean tone CLEANLY 1st....and once I am better with that..I will sound a lot better playing dirty tone.

No worries - and no need to "sir" me - call me Phil. smile.gif You're right - being able to play accurately with a good clean tone is generally more difficult than with a dirty tone - distortion adds sustain, which can make it easier to play in some ways, and it can kind of hide flubs a bit. But it can also be a lot of fun. No reason not to enjoy both now if you want - just be aware of the differences that distortion can make, and spend a good percentage of your practice time playing with a clean tone, and you'll be fine.

Another advantage of the Tech 21 is that it's not just simulating the amp, it also has a switchable speaker simulator in it too. If you're going to be plugging straight into the mixing board, that would definitely be beneficial. I'm not positive, but I don't think the Wampler Tweed 57 (again, as good as it is) has a speaker sim in it.

Archived