I see more and more bands asking for money on Kickstarter

Naterel

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It's just one of those things that happen in a world where music isn't really valued... even by the people who made it. It's not a route I'd ever want to go down when it comes to music. Sure, if you've got a solid financial plan for an enterprise that has a hope of turning some profit, up front investment is a good idea. But a kickstarter to make some music? It's like a strange blend of holding your own talent to ransom, and begging.

• Members

it's weird because all you really need these days is a laptop and some instruments to get your music out. after that, one would think you could either sink or swim based on the results.

but then, I went to art school and I know wannabe artists come up with all kinds of excuses. "well if we recorded in a studio or had better gear, we'd make better music or people would take us more seriously." or "we can't make a profit because everyone is file sharing and stealing the music of bands no one has ever heard of."

• Members

Well done. I'd be interested to know what sort of places you play, how many people you bring and how much you get paid. And I guess what blend of music you're playing.

I don't know how Loobs does it, but I'd suggest approaching bookings agents.

They don't generally get discussed when this topic comes up. You can get between

• Members

Ah, you'd rather play live in the past then?
:D

we always get paid. otherwise we don't play. it's not much and depends, but if you play for free than you leave the impression that you are worth nothing. so we won't play for free. but yeah, it's getting harder this days.

• Members

it's weird because all you really need these days is a laptop and some instruments to get your music out. after that, one would think you could either sink or swim based on the results.

but then, I went to art school and I know wannabe artists come up with all kinds of excuses. "well if we recorded in a studio or had better gear, we'd make better music or people would take us more seriously." or "we can't make a profit because everyone is file sharing and stealing the music of bands no one has ever heard of."

yes a laptop, an interface, some mics&cables and a DAW software are enough tools to get your music out.

but those are the tools. you also need the experience and the knowledge to use these tools correctly.

so either you have a lot of time and are willing to learn or you find someone who could do it for you.

finding someone who can do recoding, mixing, mastering or even also some production work will cost, unless you find some newbie who will do his learning curve while working with your band.

if you want to have pro's working on your music you also need to pay pro money for it.

the benefit you get is pro output and you can estimate somehow how long it will take to get things done and plan further steps

• Members

Ah, you'd rather play live in the past then?
:D

It is a lot harder to make money playing live these days, but I don't leave the house unless I'm getting paid. Drawing up contracts and upfront professionalism helps. I've had bar/club owners throw the money at me while yelling "this is the worst $xxx I've ever spent" but that hasn't happened in a few years.

One of the bands I'm in now is known for clearing rooms, but even we get paid.

• Members

finding someone who can do recoding, mixing, mastering or even also some production work will cost, unless you find some newbie who will do his learning curve while working with your band.

if you want to have pro's working on your music you also need to pay pro money for it.

the benefit you get is pro output and you can estimate somehow how long it will take to get things done and plan further steps

but if you haven't recorded a simple demo and generated any fan following and revenue from that, then why worry about getting professionals to record your music? It seems like alot of bands put the cart before the horse. You don't really need to do a pro recording right off the bat, and with the tools these days, you can get alot closer to a pro recording by yourself in a basement with just some cheap gear and a laptop than you could in the past.

• Members

I don't see the problem with bands raising money through kickstarter to put out an album. labels and bands do preorders all the time, preorder the record months in advance, get it some time in the future. this is the same {censored}, but bands can offer other packages and people can kick in more money than needed if they want.

if it was someone wanting to get money to buy gear and start from scratch, {censored} that. that's like those "artists" saying "I need $50k so I can document my web trolling on my blog full time!" (really. I've seen it). but for an established band without a label, what's wrong with doing preorders for albums and shows like this?

Archived