RP1000 vs zoom g3 and g3x

primeholy

• Members

I was thinking of getting a rp1000 for effects and 4 cable method. Being able to run time based effects in the loop, and others out front. I have been hearing good things about the Zoom g3 though, and was considering getting a g3 for now, and then replacing my wah, volume pedal, and boost with a g3x later. Good or bad idea? Pros/cons?

• Members

If you're set on using the 4-cable method, TVD is spot on. Not sure if the G3 would work for that, though if you're only using it for only modulation/time-based effects, run the G3 through your effects loop and keep your wah, boost and volume pedal through the front of the amp. Onboard dirt effects are all right, but the modulation, delay and reverb are well worth its price.

Now if you're choosing between the G3 vs. G3X, I found the G3X's attached expression pedal very cheaply made and not very responsive. I would stick with a regular G3, buy your own expression pedal. That's the only difference between the two.

• Members

I've owned Boss GT-10, Boss GT-100, Digitech RP255/355/500, Digitech GSP1101, Zoom G3, Line 6 POD HD500 and so too much other stuff to mention. Out of all that stuff I like Digitech and Boss effects a hair better than Zoom. Digitech will give you more accurate modeling of effects included mimicking the actual controls on modeled effects vs Zoom and Boss who generally offer generic controls. Boss offers the deepest editing of them all. The G3 has the wildest effects of them all. For now I've kept the Zoom G3 and the Digitech GSP1101. If the RP1000 offered MIDI connectivity, I'd likely pick one up. Its a shame IMHO that Digitech has abandoned MIDI on all their floorboard.

Archived