Boost pedal in effects loop??

sambora82

• Members

So we know how the story goes, using a standard effects loop in your amp will most likely suck tone.

Is it possible to add a buffer or a line boost. Something like CAE line boost to replace what the effects loop is taking away?

Any thoughts on thisS? Any recommendations on types of pedals etc?

Thanks

• Members

a buffer is used to turn a high impedence sign into a low impedence signal. an amps effects loop is already low impedence. not sure what you're asking?

Sorry, will make it a little clearer....

1) Using pedals through my effects loop drops the signal of my tone. There is a drop in thickness

2) Can I add a line boost pedal or something else in the effects loop to combat the above?

Thanks

• Members

I use an Eventide Timefactor in my fx loop and it actually improves the tone. I'm not suggesting you buy a high spec delay pedal to improve your tone, but some pedals can improve it. What pedals have you got in there?

Also be careful boosting in the FX loop, it doesn't always give you sweet power tube saturation, sometimes it can just sound awful.

• Members

Sorry, will make it a little clearer....

1) Using pedals through my effects loop drops the signal of my tone. There is a drop in thickness

2) Can I add a line boost pedal or something else in the effects loop to combat the above?

Thanks

The quick answer is no.

The reason those buffers do something out in front of the amp is that their lower drive impedence compensates (somewhat) for issues caused by long lengths of cable, high-impedence driver circuits in other pedals and a few other things.

The effects loop of most amps is already functioning at a lower impedence, so adding in a low-impedence-output buffer really does little.

The tone suck you are hearing is coming from the pedals you are using. Many are designed to function optimally out front of the amp, where a high-impedence signal is "expected". Drop them into an amp's effects loop may result in an impedence mismatch that can alter your sound. Now, if you had a low-to-high buffer > sucky pedals > high-to-low buffer , you might have a better chance of getting the sound you hope for.....but honestly, it could be a waste of time.... amp effects loops are not for every effect. They will not have the same result ore-preamp vs post-preamp.

What TYPE of effect are you trying? (ie reverb, modulation, overdrive, fuzz?)

What Make/model/brand of effect is causing the problem?

• Members

Thanks for the information. I'm using a boss dd3, mxr carbon copy, mxr phase 90 script, mxr micro flange and boss ce2 in the loop.

Also, the reason I ask is that my Marshall Vintage Modern had a db boost option in the loop that seemed to combat the tone sucking. Worked great. Unfortunately I dont have that amp any more and I'm looking to do something similar with my DSL.

Thanks

Archived