Offset doods, should I MusicMaster my Mustang?

poolshark

• Members

So I've decided I want to drop some Duncan Quarter Pound magic in my 73RI Mustang. I already have one Quarter Pounder on hand, and the only pickup position that gets any use is the neck. A mismatch will drive me crazy, so should I: a) pony up the ~$60 cash for a second pickup, or b) grab a MusicMaster pickguard for ~$30 and ditch the bridge pickup altogether? I eagerly await advice.

ps. It's this Mustang:

73MustangReissue001.jpg

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by thom View Post
If it were a tele: Yes.

A mustang is bare bones enough as it is, just leave it alone, it'd look akward and wrong without a musicmaster bridge.
I hear you on the aesthetics, but how exactly is a Mustang bare-bones?

Quote Originally Posted by christianatl View Post
Leave it alone.
Novel idea, tell me more.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by poolshark View Post
I hear you on the aesthetics, but how exactly is a Mustang bare-bones?

Novel idea, tell me more.
Bare bones, soundwhise, as in you'll get pretty whimpy thing tones with just the bridge pickup. Guess I'm just not a musicmaster fan, to each their own I supposeidn_smilie.gif

A good tele can still scream with just the bridge pickup, a stock mustang with just the bridge pu and the shorter scale is pretty much a lo-fi jangle box imo. Which can be VERY cool if it's what you're after, I'm just a bit more into a beefy rawk version of the jangly twangy tone thingicon_lol.gif

Quote Originally Posted by christianatl View Post
Leave it alone.
This

If you have to do the pickup swap, just put the quarter pound pickup in, but use the stock pickup cover over it. Stock cosmetics would be maintained, and the rest of the guitar would remain unmolested. Down the line, you could replace the bridge pickup too as funds permit. IMO, the neck IS the sound of these guitars, and the bridge by itself tends to be kind of weak, but don't overlook how cool the two pickups running together can sound - both in AND out of phase!

IMO, that's the best and easiest way to go. No need for an extra pickup if you're never planning on using it, and there's no need to buy a new pickguard and do drastic gutting of the existing electronics (removal of both switches, and one pickup). Supposedly, Strat pickups will work under the stock solid covers, but may need slightly longer screws due to the staggered magnets sticking up and increasing the overall height slightly. With the flat top magnets on a Duncan quarter pound, you should be able to use the stock covers. My only concern would be making sure the coil bobbin isn't wider than the stock pickups, but since they drop straight in on a Strat, they should fit in your Mustang.

Archived