The Orange OR50.

six acre lake

• Members

I dont think I have played a single Orange amp that didnt sound like a mud covered turd.

Sure this demo is pretty effects heavy but thats why im intrigued by this amp... as a pedal platform. I use a two amp rig and the Hiwatt is usually left on its own with no effects and the Traynor YBA-1A gets all the effected love.

• Members

In my experience, Oranges are great but ONLY with the right cabs. When the cab is right, good god there's not much better. That said, I've never liked an Orange I've played that had a matching Orange cab. The combos blow too. But a Thunderverb and a vintage Marshall 1960a cab sounds amazing.

This thing looks pretty sweet all in all.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by sleewell View Post
user error. orange amps rule.
Word. Orange Amps are not for girly pristine cleans and their sound depends heavily on speakers. Most new Orange cabs come standard with Vintage 30's, which have that mid spike you either love or hate, so there are alternatives like WGS Veteran 30's/Retro 30's that tame dem midz.

I love my AD30 single channel, but wouldn't mind getting a +50w Orange one day.

• Members

I haven't played an OR50, so I can't really help you there. I will say from the older OR80 and OR120 I have played that they do the cranked, overdriven sound very, very well...but are lacking in their ability to take pedals over cleaner, more transparent amps. Not to say it couldn't make a great pedal platform, you will just have to tweak your pedals differently.

• Members

The guy who makes Green/Electric Amps just posted this on Facebook today: "Very Disappointed! I went to play the new Orange OR50 yesterday and really wanted to like it, But beware it sounds {censored}in horrible try before you buy."

I've never played the new production model stuff, so I can't comment on that, but I love my Retro 50 Custom Shop amp. Does that fat, slightly gritty clean really nice and mid range has a beautiful growl. I prefer it with 55hz G12H speakers or 55hz G12Ms. If you really want an Orange go straight to the old stuff or find a Custom Shop amp. If you like clean, scooped midrange tones, stick with Hiwatt or Fender.

Here are some clips of the Retro:

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by TomVanDeven View Post
Fuck Orange. I owned a Rockerverb 50 which was garbage, I didn't have it long. And that was with a V30 loaded cabinet.

If you want that circuit, I would look at Matamp/Green before dropping any cash.
Specifically a Matamp GT40, if you want something similar to a vintage OR series but lower wattage. GT120 or GTO for something that will stay cleaner a bit longer

• Members

I think we really need to differentiate between the vintage and modern Orange circuits. OR120/OTR120 =/= Thunderverb, Rockerverb, or AD line by any long shot. I have owned an OTR120, a Rockerverb 50, and a Matamp LX, and I currently own a Traynor YBA-1a, Harry Joyce(Hiwatt) Custom 100, a couple Ampeg VT40's and a V4. The OR50 as I'm sure you know, John, is their take on the vintage 120 circuit but lower wattage. I wouldn't use the OR50 as a pedal platform because the headroom isn't on par with your YBA-1A but one the OR/OTR120s would do the trick, the only difference between the 2 is that the OTR has a master volume on it. It's a different style of clean but great nonetheless and that FAC knob makes it pretty versatile.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by nathanlux

View Post

The guy who makes Green/Electric Amps just posted this on Facebook today: "Very Disappointed! I went to play the new Orange OR50 yesterday and really wanted to like it, But beware it sounds fuckin horrible try before you buy."

I would take that with a giant grain of salt.

Archived