Reverb options?

Lefty Geek

• Members

It's not only been years since I posted on this forum, but it has also been years since I have purchased a pedal! So many new options.

I find myself in a new situation: playing music that could benefit from reverb (a tad atmospheric) and playing an amp with no reverb. Been using a delay pedal for now. Not really picky about reverb, just something to put my guitar a bit more in the background and not so upfront (maybe I should stop playing a Telecaster).

I'm torn about what should I get since I tend to purchase nicer gear, but this band is not a permanent thing and somewhere down the line I will get an amp with reverb.

I found the Holy Grail is too noisy with a One Spot. I like my reverb on the simple side (used to having it on my amp), so nothing with presets, tons of knobs, etc..

What are my options for

What if I opened up my options to $100+? Would it be a waste if I only needed it for two shows or will I find other other uses? Options between $100 and $150 include the Malekko Spring Reverb, Digitech Hardwire RV-7, TC Electronic Hall of Fame.

I don't live next to any decent music stores and my show is two weeks away, so I need something with fast shipping (I have Amazon Prime). I haven't had GAS in years!

• Members

problem with reverb pedals is finding the ones that work well with dirt. i liked my Byiang, for example, but with dirt it just made my tone sound dull like there was no tomorrow.

right now i'm using a Boss FRV-1, like it a lot, sounds great with dirt to me, but i'd really to try an EQD Ghost Echo and a Subdecay Spring Theory next. the Malekko spring reverbs seem like solid choices too.

• Members

My favourite reverb that I've had is my EQD Dispatch Master. Doubles up as a delay and can combine reverb/delay in parallel too. It's ridiculously simple and really honestly just sounds good no matter how you set the knobs. I can't remember exactly how much it cost, but I think something like $140 or $160, then I had to pay import tax when it arrived.

I also quite liked a few of the reverbs on my M13. You could consider a Verbzilla or perhaps even an M5 which will give you all the other L6 effects as well as reverb. I'm also really keen on the Marshall Reflector and Digitech Digiverb, both of which I would imagine meet your $100ish budget(?).

• Members

There are a lot (especially lately) in the world of reverb pedals, so I'd hone in on the type of reverb needed. I have two reverb pedals: Boss FRV-1 for spring and EQD Ghost Echo for hall reverb. Both are amazing clean, and even better dirty (especially dat Ghost Echo, fuuuu).

• Members

What didn't you like about it?

Oh I thought it was really cool. But I have to pay for my Supa Puss and I really don't need much for reverb. Since getting it I have actually only used it on one song. I also have an eterna coming so my P&W shimmerz is covered.

• Members

What about something like an Alesis Microverb, Nanoverb, Picoverb, etc... in the effects loop? I used to use a Microverb II with my Mesa and it worked pretty well. You can usually score the 1/3 rack sized units for $50 or less used and it's versatile enough to use on vocals or for a demo studio setup. Even new, I think the smallest version sells for less than $100.

• Members

I picked up a Subdecay Spring Theory a few days ago ($125) and have been playing the crap out of it, it's fantastic. Room mode sounds really spacey. Spring mode makes me finally understand why people go nuts over spring reverb.

Yeah, Spring Theory is amazing.

If you like amp reverb, which is usually spring, it's fantastic. Two knobs and a switch. The spring mode sounds exactly like real spring reverb, and the room setting is great as well.

I adore mine, and it handles dirt like a champ, even at heavy spring settings.

• Members

Fan of HoF here; and I'm a Fender amp reverb snob. It's not bad - but then, I don't run a lot of dirt through it. I do use a lot of phase, as well as longer delay sounds ... very capable, and a nice range of choices.

That said, I've found the included reverbs with a couple of digital multi boxes to be very, very seductive in certain settings. Old Boss units are cheap on eBay; the GS-10 is a hidden gem.

• Members

Thanks to all that replied.

In the end, I purchased a Digitech Hardwire RV-7 on Ebay. The price seemed good (too good actually), so l bit the bullet.

I probably could have gotten away with using a cheaper reverb such as the Biyang, but I was more worried about reliability than sound since the gig I have is somewhat important and I don't have enough time to do a proper "burn-in".

Haven't had GAS in a long time since I have stopped playing somewhat (getting back into it), but it is now creeping back.

• Members

Thanks to all that replied.

In the end, I purchased a Digitech Hardwire RV-7 on Ebay. The price seemed good (too good actually), so l bit the bullet.

I probably could have gotten away with using a cheaper reverb such as the Biyang, but I was more worried about reliability than sound since the gig I have is somewhat important and I don't have enough time to do a proper "burn-in".

Haven't had GAS in a long time since I have stopped playing somewhat (getting back into it), but it is now creeping back.

Good call. Loved the sound of the Biyang Tri-Reverb I had, but they did cut some corners here and there imo. It doesn't feel very solid, and mine was extremely noisy in the more extreme settings, though that could've been because of my power supply. You can't use it with batteries either, it drains batteris unusually fast, it's really kind of a design flaw I think...

The Hardwire should be among the best affordable compact delay peds out there, at least so I've heard/read. I can't justify spending the money on a Supernatural reverb, Blue Sky or RRR, otherwhise of those would replace the RV-3 I just sold. I'll just make do with my amp's spring reverb.

Archived