Electro Harmonix Double Muff

Aristotle

• Members

An old favourite of mine. It's really loud and gainy (produces controllable feedback very easily), and it's somewhere between fuzz and overdrive. When it was on my board (at present it isn't because I don't need it) I used it as my lead pedal; stacked with an OD (in my case SD-1) it's fairly Gilmouresque. It does other sounds as well, but that's what I've always preferred it for. For what it costs or otherwise, it's a really great pedal. It doesn't like buffers, though.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by jhamnett

View Post

Awesome loud and rude fuzz when using it in cascaded mode...

Quote Originally Posted by mr benn

View Post

sounded more like a turbo rat than a muff to me...

Agreed. I finally grabbed one with a wooden box for a good price this summer. It's pretty versatile, but not a particularly smooth sounding dirt. I probably wouldn't use it to play rhythm bar chords unless I wanted to sound garage.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by JRBain

View Post

I'm not sure I'd agree with that advice; it's a great pedal but it really does not sound like a Big Muff.

I rather meant Muff-'style', but we agree on this subject. It sounds quite close to the old Russian versions IMHO.

• Members

As people have already said it's more of a distortion/OD than Fuzz, but is worth a try. It was the first dirt pedal I had, I modded it so the 1/2 switch was a pedal, then it got stolen.

Got one of the nanos recently, from what I remember it's pretty similar.

Archived