OT: Good job Colorado!

decode6

• Members

Brace yourselves for a huge debate over states rights, because this will make it to the SCOTUS. No doubt.

And yeah, this is huge. Like global huge. Is there another State in the world with legalized (not just decriminalized) Marijuana? I can't think of one.

MA, AR were voting on Medical Marijuana. Washington and Oregon were also voting for legalization this election.

High times.

EDIT: I-502 Passed in Washington. Colorado and Washington have legalized marijuana for recreational use. http://blog.seattlepi.com/seattlepol...tax-marijuana/

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Aristotle

View Post

Brace yourselves for a huge debate over states rights, because this will make it to the SCOTUS. No doubt.

And yeah, this is huge. Like global huge. Is there another State in the world with legalized (not just decriminalized) Marijuana? I can't think of one.

MA, AR were voting on Medical Marijuana. Washington and Oregon were also voting for legalization this election.

High times.

EDIT: I-502 Passed in Washington. Colorado and Washington have legalized marijuana for recreational use. http://blog.seattlepi.com/seattlepol...tax-marijuana/

pot is already decrimalized here, in MA.

I dont see what the SCOTUS issue is here, yet at least.

I see many counties and town laws banning pot, then a scotus, maybe, challenge.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by 9520575

View Post

pot is already decrimalized here, in MA.

I dont see what the SCOTUS issue is here, yet at least.

I see many counties and town laws banning pot, then a scotus, maybe, challenge.

Decriminalization means that its still illegal, but the law isn't being enforced. For example, driving 5-10 MPH over the speed limit on the freeway is illegal, but you're probably not going to get pulled over for it.

Legalization is quit different. And the issue is, as Aristotle noted, a matter of states rights. Federal law supersedes state law. For example, a state can't pass a law allowing for slavery and expect it to hold up. The supreme court will decide against states legalization of marijuana for recreational purposes. They have to. The way the issue has to be resolved is for the Controlled Substances Act to be revised. Congress ain't gonna do that. Obama didn't even support marijuana legalization when he had the chance, and in fact, had his DEA shut down the dispensaries in California for no good reason (not even Bush had done that).

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by LSDis4me

View Post

Decriminalization means that its still illegal, but the law isn't being enforced. For example, driving 5-10 MPH over the speed limit on the freeway is illegal, but you're probably not going to get pulled over for it.

Legalization is quit different. And the issue is, as Aristotle noted, a matter of states rights. Federal law supersedes state law. For example, a state can't pass a law allowing for slavery and expect it to hold up. The supreme court will decide against states legalization of marijuana for recreational purposes. They have to. The way the issue has to be resolved is for the Controlled Substances Act to be revised. Congress ain't gonna do that. Obama didn't even support marijuana legalization when he had the chance, and in fact, had his DEA shut down the dispensaries in California for no good reason (not even Bush had done that).

I'm well aware of the difference. It is a fedral offense, not a state offense. Fedral law enforcement agents can still arrest you.

I still don't see where scotus is involved.

Also, I'm sure you know we are obligated to keep pot illgeal nationally because of international treaties. Its not something we as a country nor congress can easily over turn.

Archived