Recommend Me Some Amber: Scotch / Whiskey / Bourbon Content

six acre lake

• Members

I am in the middle of a 30 day, self imposed "cleanse". Day 31 happens to be on Nov. 24th, the night of our big SAL show in Philly at Johnny Brenda's. I wanted to get a nice bottle of booze for Joe and I to nip on in the green room / after party. I love all things amber and here are my thoughts at the moment but I am ready to be swayed by the HCFX populous.

Blantons Silver.
blantons-silver-edition-435066.png

Glenlivet 18
Glenlivet-18-Year-Old.jpg

Johnny Walker Blue
Johnnie_Walker_Blue_Label_Scotch_Whisky_

... I have always wanted to try JW Blue but 2 hundy for a blended seems crazy... Is it worth it? I am wanting something special and I am more then versed with the ambers from budget to baller. What say you HCFX?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by six acre lake

View Post

... I have always wanted to try JW Blue but 2 hundy for a blended seems crazy... Is it worth it? I am wanting something special and I am more then versed with the ambers from budget to baller. What say you HCFX?

A quality blended scotch can easily be worth $200, however I've never had JW Blue. For a great single malt I'd go with Lagavulin 21

• Members

my post was worthless without a pic.

Jameson%20Gold%20Reserve.jpg

Up until recently Jameson Gold Reserve has been the elusive family member that could only be found in airport shopping outlets. Since its creation in 1996, Jameson Gold Reserve - a marvelously rich pot still character whiskey - has been the toast of whiskey critics. Such praise is rare, as indeed was the whiskey itself. Jameson Gold can now be found worldwide but is still as precious as ever.

Jameson Gold Reserve is a creative blend of three whiskeys of advanced years, one of which is uniquely matured in virgin oak barrels. It's the inspired choice of this virgin oak, coupled with the bourbon barrels and sherry casks, that account for the whiskey's satisfying complexity and honey toasted sweetness.

• Members

I've never had Jameson gold reserve, but I'd love to try that. Jameson is my go to cheap whiskey, although I tried the 18 year and didn't really think it was worth it. I second the aberlour suggestion. Great scotch. I also really like macallan when I'm feeling like spending a bit more money on whiskey than I normally do.

I've never had Johnny walker blue, but I've hated every other jw I've had, so I vote against that one.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by misterstomach View Post
I've never had Jameson gold reserve, but I'd love to try that. Jameson is my go to cheap whiskey, although I tried the 18 year and didn't really think it was worth it. I second the aberlour suggestion. Great scotch. I also really like macallan when I'm feeling like spending a bit more money on whiskey than I normally do.

I've never had Johnny walker blue, but I've hated every other jw I've had, so I vote against that one.
Isn't the really cheap Jameson actually like 25% whiskey 75% vodka?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by TravvyBear

View Post

Isn't the really cheap Jameson actually like 25% whiskey 75% vodka?

No, but that's a disgusting idea. I mean, cheap Jameson is still a good bit more than really {censored}ty well whiskey. $25/bottle. It's cheap relative to good whiskeys being talked about here, but it's not garbage.

• Members

I drink the 12-year Jameson fairly regularly... and like it better than the 18. Haven't had the Gold though. Will add that to the list.

That said -- if I was going to splurge on a special event and spend a few bucks in the process, I'd most certainly track down a bottle of Pappy's. Most certainly.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by guitardustin View Post
OMG STOP IT. No more posting in Whiskey threads if crazy claims like this arise. I'll see you in a week Travis. You know the rules.
Hey you {censored}ers I was just asking a question.

But I was actually thinking of Seagrams 7 Crown, it's got neutral spirits in it which is basically vodka IIRC. Correct?

Archived