What are the more easily available orange finish gretsch guitars out there?

hangwire

• Members

This is more just information gathering, but an orange color gretsch will eventually be a present for me, so I want to know what model number(s) to clue in on.

I generally prefer single coil pickups, unless the humbuckers dont get muddy and dull....and a vibrato is another preference.

Sooooo, what models fit the criteria that can be ordered from a shop, or have a good likelihood of finding in a store lately?

• Members

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/G5120OR/

Here's the model. Apparently they are no longer making them in orange. Vibrato is a B60, not sure about the pickups.

edit: Looks like they are still making them in orange. Different model number though so there are probably differences. I don't know much about Gretsch's though. I played a few and researched the G5120 when I was Crampin hard. I love Bigsbys and I liked every one I played, but I never pulled the trigger on one.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/G5420TOr

• Members

My old room mate who had a good job and money, and sometimes played guitar randomly decided "dude... orange Gretsch," one day, and told me to find him one. I love guitar shopping and with someone else's money? Hell yeah.

Some guy on my local CL had one of the Korean 5120's with a TKL HSC for 600. I went and checked it out and got it for my room mate. That thing was great. Played easy, stayed in tune, had a nice tone to it. Actually, I believe it was some wort of anniversary model... *delving into old photobucket pages*

DSCN0703.jpg

See, some badge on the back there. idn_smilie.gif It was nice though, the pickups could have been a little hotter, but I didn't {censored} with the height or pole pieces much so that could've helped. Even so, a great guitar for the money.

DSCN0700.jpg

DSCN0702.jpg

DSCN0704.jpg

• Members

5120 and 5122 Electromatics are probably the easiest to find and easiest on the wallet. They're basically the same except the 5122 is a double cut and I believe has a slimmer body. They have licensed bigsbys and humbuckers. I have no experience with the pickups and have no idea how they sound. Apparently there are some newer models called 5420 and 5422 which seem similar to the 5120/22s but have different inlays and some kind of Filtertron pickups. Filtertrons are humbuckers but have more of a sinlge coil type sound.

Then there are the Japanese pro lines which will be more expensive. They make a 6120 model with single coil Dynasonics. There's also a 6120 model with Filtertrons (several actually).

There were some other Historic models which I don't think are made anymore which were orange and had some sort of Dearmond single coils I think.

This place, http://www.creamcitymusic.com/, is a big Gretsch dealer. I always see auctions on ebay from them and they seem to have a lot of Gretsches (not just newer ones). Not sure how far they are from you but they might be worth checking out.

• Members

The 5120s are pretty common, being replaced by the 5420. The pickups on the 5120 is its weak point; the ones on the new model are supposed to be better. If you replace the pickups on a 5120 with the TV Jones ones the sound is heavenly, but that sets you back another $300 or so.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Lou Speed View Post
5120 and 5122 Electromatics are probably the easiest to find and easiest on the wallet. They're basically the same except the 5122 is a double cut and I believe has a slimmer body. They have licensed bigsbys and humbuckers. I have no experience with the pickups and have no idea how they sound. Apparently there are some newer models called 5420 and 5422 which seem similar to the 5120/22s but have different inlays and some kind of Filtertron pickups. Filtertrons are humbuckers but have more of a sinlge coil type sound.

Then there are the Japanese pro lines which will be more expensive. They make a 6120 model with single coil Dynasonics. There's also a 6120 model with Filtertrons (several actually).

There were some other Historic models which I don't think are made anymore which were orange and had some sort of Dearmond single coils I think.

This place, http://www.creamcitymusic.com/, is a big Gretsch dealer. I always see auctions on ebay from them and they seem to have a lot of Gretsches (not just newer ones). Not sure how far they are from you but they might be worth checking out.

Yeah living 5 miles down the road from cream city is nice, and likely where it will be purchased/ordered for me

Wasn't there a white single coil version electromatic back a decade ago?

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by hangwire View Post
Yeah living 5 miles down the road from cream city is nice, and likely where it will be purchased/ordered for me

Wasn't there a white single coil version electromatic back a decade ago?
Then you are right down the road from Gretsch nirvana.
Yes, there was a version with Dynasonics, 51XX, forget the designation.
Came in white and a few other colors.
They are much rarer and highly prized.

My 2011 walnut 5120 has the "improved" Gretschbuckers, the last run before the 5120 was discontinued for the new 5420s.
They are decent pickups but still very humbuckery and Gibsony in character. A little brighter than a PAF tho.
Mines gonna get some TV Jones, or at the least some GFS Surf 90s, and some better pots at some point.
About my only complaint is the muddy master vol.
013.jpg

Archived