They're putting USB ports on everything these days - Squier announces USB Strat

Phil O'Keefe

• Members

it seems like a good idea to just plug and play. with all the different effects and recording capabilities of hte iphone/ipad...

but for like $20 you can buy a faux iRig and BOOM youre just as connected to your iphone/ipad with your nice $1.5k MIA guitar instead of a {censored}ty 200 dollar squier poop

• Members

Despite limitations, I'm enjoying the Fender Mustang amps. They're stoopid easy to fiddle with, especially for die-hard tube amp dinosaurs like moi. Still have four "real" amps, but they are getting harder to pickup and move around every day.

My Want List includes wireless connectivity (USB is so old-school), and compatibility with Fender's FUSE amplifier software. You know, the guitar + amp is really a system, not two separate pieces.

And as long as we're blue-skying, how about eliminating the hex pickup and give us multiple software tunings, 12-string, bouzouki, banjo, ukelele, virtual E-Bow, etc.?

And please put all this stuff in an American Standard Strat. A dang Tele would be nice, too. smile.gif

Quote Originally Posted by Ancient Mariner

View Post

Guess it's a way to try to cut out the middle man and add value/open new markets for instruments.

I agree - it seems like a reasonably prudent step to try to expand the feature set of guitars to make them more adaptable and compatible with new paradigms.

• Members

It's not that bad of an idea, the only problem I see is that little port on the guitar itself being terrible quality. I have a few external hard drives with that little plug and they're terrible, if you bump the table or even breathe on it wrong the connection messes up and ejects.

It could definitely be useful though

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Will Chen

View Post

That's kinda funny. Behringer has offered this for a few years now. Seems a strange thing to do though when many products such as these are readily available...

595396.jpg

because kids who want to learn guitar don't know about that, and when they drag their mothers to the guitar shop and see the squier with the inbuilt usb jack it's another thing for the kid/the salesman to use to open mom's wallet.

Anything that gets kids playing guitar is a good thing in my book.

• Members

facepalm.gif Because a USB mini jack is just as durable as 1/4" jack.

I wouldn't thrash around violently with this guitar is I were any of you. Thrash around violently or.... get up suddenly, or turn around slightly, etc... I've had so man yof those jacks die on me over the years. And this was on consumer electronics that AREN'T moved around violently.

Knock the plugged-in jack against something with the whole weight of the guitar behind it. See how long that lasts.

Archived