Opinions on the Line 6 M5

ChristianTimn

• Members

I've been looking to buy a delay, (I had settled on saving for a dd-20) But I also somewhere down the line wanted to buy a verbzilla, a ring mod, chorus, and a tremolo of some sort. It appears like the Line 6 M5 has a good bit of variety and compared to buying a bunch of individual pedals would save money. I was wondering what M5 owners (Or M13 and M9 owners) thought. Any help is appreciated! Also, does it have a dotted 8th delay? I looked around but couldn't figure it out...

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Crxsh View Post
If I was going to go down that road again, I'd rather just have an M9. One effect at a time was sorta limiting... especially with the placement issues I ran into trying to integrate it into a traditional stomp rig.
This.

Plus no looper, the M9/13 looper is ace love.gif

• Members

True, But convincing my parents to let me spend on a $150 pedal (My money, mind you) will be difficult, let alone a $250 pedal. The main purpose of the M5 will be to function as a second delay, (When Needed) Reverb, and if I ever want to use a chorus, flanger, trem, ect... I plan on eventually buying individual pedals for stuff, but right now money is not exactly plentiful. And I recently bought a tube amp after using a modeling amp for a long time and I'm missing being able to experiment with different effects.

• Members

I like the M5 a lot, and use it towards the end of my chain for delays, and modulation. But yeah, only one delay at a time could be limiting. SO a used M9 might be a good idea, plus the looper on it rules. The G3 seems cool too, but the M5/9 is strictly effects, and not amp sims.

I really like the delays on the M5 (I had a M9 once too, and never really spent enough time with it dialing it in). They aren't the best, but they have some pretty features to them too. You do need the power supply, as they're energy hogs, so make sure you get that if going used.

• Members

I picked up an M5 not that long ago and TBH, I only use it for OctoVerb, Trem, Phase and Chorus etc. I use the delays very very rarely when I am using my Timefactor for looping. I owned an M9 for a while and used that for all my effects. It's hard to only have 3 effects at a time (for me anyway). I'd get the M5 if I were you. It's a great way to find out what you really want, save for it, and not have wasted a lot of money on stuff.

Archived