Thinking about swapping my entire rig for a POD HD500

ChuckNorris1982

• Members

Ya for real. My band is just breaking up, my rig is a 100 watt head and a pair of 4x12s with some pedals. I won't be making any live music for quite some time (if ever), so my amp rig is completely unsuitable for home use.

I want to get back into some home recording projects but don't have any recording gear anymore, nor the money to buy any without liquidating a load of my live gear.

POD HD500 seems like an obvious choice... perfect for home playing, also can be used as a recording interface. I'll be keeping my DCCE 4x12 so if I ever get back into playing live I guess I could just buy a power amp and I'd be good to go again.

Any opinions on the HD500? Or suggestions maybe for a better alternative?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Quote Originally Posted by ChuckNorris1982 View Post
Ya for real. My band is just breaking up, my rig is a 100 watt head and a pair of 4x12s with some pedals. I won't be making any live music for quite some time (if ever), so my amp rig is completely unsuitable for home use.

I want to get back into some home recording projects but don't have any recording gear anymore, nor the money to buy any without liquidating a load of my live gear.

POD HD500 seems like an obvious choice... perfect for home playing, also can be used as a recording interface. I'll be keeping my DCCE 4x12 so if I ever get back into playing live I guess I could just buy a power amp and I'd be good to go again.

Any opinions on the HD500? Or suggestions maybe for a better alternative?
Honestly...if you're going to replace a rig I'd get the AxeFx. I had a POD HD300 and while the modeling was an improvement over the older versions of the POD, they just didn't cut it for anything more than headphone practice and the occasional recorded clean ambient tone. redface.gif

• Members

For what it's worth, I'm well aware it isn't going to sound anywhere close to my current 100 watts and 8x 12" speakers.

I am realistic about what I can expect here, just wanted to see what people thought of the HD500 and its competitors. Judged on its own merits, not being compared to something which costs 5x as much, how is it?

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by One Man Banned View Post
Why not? Aren't you selling your head and cabs? That should get you pretty close, yeah? idn_smilie.gif
Nope. Not even close.

I know what my budget is, and it's roughly around the HD500 price point. The Laney I'm selling will go for {censored} all, and I don't have many pedals to sell really.

• Members

The other option is a small valve combo and a basic interface (I already have a workable mic), but the house I live in isn't really suited to cranking up an amp of any kind. I do have Amplitube, which is pretty good, but I like being able to turn things on and off with my feet, and I've always found that pedals into amplitube sounds {censored}e.

• Members

I've seen bands in the past use older floor pods into power amps into 4x12s, and they sounded good. Ive never had a positive experience with Line6, and I tried for years to get their stuff to sound good. Honestly I'd go with a small combo amp with a speaker out to use with your left over cab, and a handful of core pedals you need for your sound.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Jisatsu View Post
I've seen bands in the past use older floor pods into power amps into 4x12s, and they sounded good. Ive never had a positive experience with Line6, and I tried for years to get their stuff to sound good. Honestly I'd go with a small combo amp with a speaker out to use with your left over cab, and a handful of core pedals you need for your sound.
I honestly can't say that I've ever seen anyone running current or recent generation PODs live. I do remember seeing a band running direct from the old red beans and it was attrocious, but I don't think I'd ever run direct and let the sound guy dial my stuff in regardless of what product I was running through.

Quote Originally Posted by Poltergeist View Post
for the money Laneys go for in the UK you're better off keeping it, really. what would you get? 300

• Members

I can't see how a small tube amp that will never get cranked will sound any better though, IMO.

I'm very unlikely to look for a new band. Not interested.

Ever tried a blackstar? They sound nice and aren't very loud in my experience.

• Members

Try out one of the newer zoom units (G3, G5) and see if you like their modeling.

As was said, another alternative would be an interface (focusrite scarlett 2i2?) with a tech 21 character pedal or something.

I like your thinking. If it was me I would go character pedal and interface. Actually for the price of the HD500 you could probably get a basic interface, character pedal and the Zoom, or skip the zoom and get some decent monitors. If you are going to go all ampless you want to at least have some decent speakers. They don't have to be great, but you don't want to be monitoring on computer speakers.

• Members

I've had an HD500 for nearly 2 years and I use it to record on the computer as well as direct to PA on stage. It sounds really good both clean and dirty sounds and it's very convenient to use. If you want to record at home it's perfect for you. And its price is right.

• Members

I honestly can't say that I've ever seen anyone running current or recent generation PODs live. I do remember seeing a band running direct from the old red beans and it was attrocious, but I don't think I'd ever run direct and let the sound guy dial my stuff in regardless of what product I was running through.

The Laney will sell for somewhere around

Archived