Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tell me about CD's - do you still use them? Do you buy blank or pre-recorded CDs?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tell me about CD's - do you still use them? Do you buy blank or pre-recorded CDs?

CD's - tell me about them. I'm a bit curious as to where we are with them, so I thought I'd ask you guys. How are you using them - if you use them at all?

Do you still purchase albums on CD, or do you prefer digital delivery? Or maybe streaming's your thing now...?

Do you still distribute your music on CD, or are you still interested in CD-format releases of your music? Do you consider it an important format for getting your music to your listeners? If not, what (if anything) has replaced that as your primary release format?

Do you still back up data to CD-R / CD-RW, DVD-R / DVD-RW, or have SSDs and HDDs replaced optical media as your backup format of choice?

Do you still burn audio CDs at all - for use in the car, as studio "roughs", use in a Diskman, as "mix tapes" for friends, etc?

Not counting tablets and smartphones, do you own a computer that has no optical drive in it?

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

- George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

- Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

- Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

I still only purchase albums on CD. I buy a lot. Used and new.

I don't distribute music.

I very rarely back up something important on DVD-R, but I don't really have any files that are important anymore. Still have all my college papers saved on a DVD-R.

I don't burn cds anymore unless it's a copy of something for my old man. That is rare though.
    I didn't come here to save whales, I came here to get laid and make rock 'n' roll

Comment

Haven't played a CD in about 5 years.
      youtube
      music

Comment

I do. I buy CDs from bands and I buy blanks. Usually to give my stuff to people or record band practices on to give to the band members to listen to on their way home from practice.

I haven't gone all Itunes and everything is digital yet though.

Comment

I buy both CDs and digital. And vinyl, FWIW. I use blank CDs to burn playlists for the car.

Comment

Last CD I bought was Shut Up 'N Play Yer Guitar, because the mp3 version wasn't offered anywhere. Otherwise I buy mp3's from Amazon or iTunes. I listen to my music on my phone, either with headphones or plugged into my car. All of my stuff is backed up on an external hard drive.

I also have a Spotify account so that I can try out music before I buy.
            New stuff every day on Gain!

Comment

I don't think I've purchased a CD is about 3 years. Almost everything is available via iTunes at this point which is a little cheaper and I don't have shelves full of CD's taking up space anymore, just an ipod and laptop, and satellite radio in the car is pretty awesome. I have a bunch of vinyl just for cool factor/collecting, but everyday listening is all digital.

My laptop is backed up on an external hard drive is all
              Love,Dustinhttp://peendubya.freeforums.org

Comment

I still buy CDs on a semi regular basis. Nothing compared to what I buy (mostly legally) but the only time I listen to CDs is when I'm in the car with my mum and even then it's usually just what I've left in.

Good Deals: Mr Cheef & WAWBanks & JDE & MPH & the.nameless & gambit & Woolyh & ChrisB

Comment

I buy cds. I dont like mp3s except for quantity over quality/portability ( listening at gym or bus)
                  ANARCHY AUDIO AUSTRALIA (Hand wired/assembled Effects from the West Coast of Australia)
                  www.anarchyaudioaustralia.com
                  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Anarch...35159009874965
                  http://soundcloud.com/anarchy-audio-australia

J0HanSolo's Youtube Gear Demos
                  http://www.youtube.com/user/J0HanSolo?feature=mhsn

Formerly known as HungPhat

Comment

i buy cds .... we have a few places for good cheap used cds nearby.
                    good deals w/ pbone, sh333, homestar_kevin, johnrambo, the future king, MrMunky, Iamtehcure, miggy01, hangwire, pfindeis, Virex, orangesix, PurpleStrat, Exdeath, nickthebrick, devi ever, Crxshdxmmy, heykenny, letsgocoyote, Scarlet Theory, Free the Guilty, fruvai, friendlybunny, yannickbasset, duderanimous, vintageroad, jgs61, Vinhoff, leer43, hurleysurf, zygoat, lewzer, sodium_23, M-dawg, thefragile103, Blewbyou, StopReferencing, itkindaworks, Amplifier Worship

Comment

Yep we still buy CDs...and still burn CDs, but mainly for my wife's photography business (she burns CDs of photos for clients)
                      Good deals with: TravvyBear, TD Moyer, modeerf, starmansam, dyer_maker, Reaganomics!, frenchji

Gods of Harvest

Comment

Still do buy CDs though I'm not buying music often. Have some CDRs but never use them; use thumb drives for music transfer/sharing.
                        Decolonize

Comment

I still buy a fair amount of CD's. Usually at shows and what-not. Have not done much iTunes purchasing to be honest.
                          FS/FT:

Blackout Effectors Mantra - Black. $140 shipped to the lower 48.

Good dealings with: Conky, Barney Steele, Orbis Mortis, LWatford-2, Blakemore Effects, Aaron SS, Juri, High Gain, FoxMan, IRG, Orange Worker, Panther King, BHz_econo, 9520575, Hangwire, Doug Deeper, SH333, Dylanwilde, frenchji, rossta1, Computicus, ToonHollow

Comment

I still buy CDs if I like most of the album and the band, sometimes I'll buy an album as bit CD and vinyl if the record doesn't come with a pressed copy (not enough bands do that). generally buy online or at shows since I don't usually find what I want in the stores around here and the markup is more expensive than ordering and getting it shipped to your door.

I no longer buy albums without hearing them first, even if its a band I love (ok Every Time I Die, they've never let me down), haven't done that since the early 00s. no buying albums based purely on the cover without knowing the band either. used to do that a lot in the 90s, got exposed to a lot of great music that way, but it's too much of a gamble now.

haven't bought blank CDs to burn stuff in 6+ years, I still have 80% of a spindle of 100 kicking around that I'll never use, can't remember the last time I burned a cd or dvd.
                            we could be dangerous: art, as a real threat

Comment

I'm a bit surprised by how popular they still seem to be, based on the replies so far. Thanks for your input guys.

Keep those opinions / comments coming please!

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

- George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

- Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

- Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

Working...
                              X