I want new Tele pickups

p0lymath

• Members

I have a stock MIM that I'm about to start upgrading the parts on, specifically new pups, an American style three saddle bridge, and a fancy new nut. I'm looking for pickups

[video=youtube;6qsXxKawUos]

He may be using a strat in that song, come to think of it, but still that's the general sound I'm looking for. Super bright but not crazy biting treble, poppy, bouncy, everything that gets accentuated by a compressor etc.

Recommendations? Lace sensors? GFS? Seymour Duncans? Magnets, how do they work?

• Members

Bill Lawrence L290TL-E

But you'll want to switch out the bridge for a non-microphonic stainless steel one.

Aren't those overwound noiseless pickups?

I have no hands-on experience with any of Bill's pickups (they charge an arm and a leg for shipping to Europe), but Bill's Keystones get rave reviews especially for their supposedly HiFi-like treble response.

At $64 a set they might be worth a shot.

For pickups I've actually played I'd say DiMarzio Twang Kings might be what you're looking for. The bridge pickup is bright and spanky yet smooth and the neck pickup sounds almost stratty.

• Members

You can't go wrong with Bill Lawrence. Very good pickups for the money. The L290TL-E isn't exactly a traditional Tele pickup. Its got bump in mids and is slightly hotter. Its one of my favorite bridge pickups. I recommended it to Fender&EHX4ever glad to hear he still likes it. I've yet to try out the keystones. Another set pups I like a lot are the Dimarzio Velvet T bridge and Twang king neck combo. They have a little more modern sound to them but very good. I love the sound Twang king neck. Its little more brighter sounding (like a Strat) but never muddy. You really don't need to spend a lot money to get good set pups. Electronically their pretty {censored} simple. I think Keystones are about $70 for set. I've heard nothing but good things about them.

• Members

I've got an AVRI 60's bridge pickup and a Dimarzio Eric Johnson humbucker in the neck of mine. I wouldn't change that combo for the world. Don't be fooled by the name, the Dimarzio EJ is supposed to mimic a Filtertron style 'bucker and the clarity is phenomenal in that pickup.

• Members

Pertinent to my interests, except I'm looking for splittable HBs that can cope a decent tele twang when split.

and I'd also like a unicorn that can pull Santa's Sleigh.

Instead of splitting try running it parallel. Still noiseless and not nutless like a split bucker.

Archived