Question for Tube Screamer Experts

goth70

• Members

When I was in my early teens circa 1986, my much older cousin and I met a guy in a band who claimed to be related to the Allman Bros. His band was called ? Allman and the Tumbling Dice. He even had it tattooed on his arm Anyway, he claimed he needed money to get home and was selling some gear. Out of sympathy my cousin bought a TS-9 tubescreamer and a nice mic from him for cheap.

A week ago we were cleaning out an attic and I found that old beat to crap tubescreamer. It says Allman's tumbling Dice on it engraved on the footswitch. Plugged it in and by god it still works. My question for someone is: are tubescreamers from the mid-80s different from new TS-9 tubescreamers? I have not been able to compare it to a new one. It sure sounds great. I did compare it to a friends Bad Monkey pedal and yeah it blows it away. The signal stays crisp with lots of definition and there is more of that tube-amp purr and no fizziness at all. This thing is so beat up and the knobs are soft and loose. I'm not sure I would trust this thing to live much longer. On the other hand if it lasted this long..... Maybe it would be worth having it recased by a boutique builder if the old pedals are better than new ones. Anyway, just wanted to see what people said about 80s-era screamers. Thanks.

• Members

I'll try to get a pic when my sis comes tomorrow, my phone has no camera. But there is nothing intersting to see! Its just a beat-up thrashed TS-9 tubescreamer with Tumbling Dice sloppily engraved on the silver pedal. Nothing much to see. God knows who that guy who sold it was.

• Members

Years ago I swapped a DOD eq for a TS9. Sounded OK but wasnt metal enuff for me at the time so tossed it in a trunk. Dug it out a couple years ago and learned it was a 1983 issue with the JRC4558 chip. Ive been offered $200 for it but now Ive grown to appreciate it and its a keeper. I would guess the 1986 is the same thing. Try it with a Distortion or Fuzz in front! thumb.gif

• Members

I like the sound of 80s TS9. They sound more compressed (in a good way) than the reissues. But some of the old TS9 have the JRC 2043DD chip, which does not sound as good as the 4558. The diodes are important, too. I like the blues striped the most. You should post a pic of the guts.

Archived