BOSS GT-10 Owners, question: external effects on/off switching

kingswebe

• Members

I am considering picking up a used GT-10, but only if it allows me to save the on/off setting for the external effects loop PER PATCH. For example, patch 1 has external efffects loop On, but Patch 2 has external effects loop set to off. Can I do this on the GT-10? I've been reviewing the owners manual and it sort of looks like I can't...

And IF it can't, is there any reasonably priced multi-fx pedals on the market that do support this.

Thanks!

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by ChuckNorris1982 View Post
Yes it can do this.

I'm going to pick on up myself next week for bedroom noodling and recording.
Mine arrived last night and I've put a few hours into evaluating the unit, particulatly the tone of my dirt unit in the send/return loop on an otherwise blank patch. Disappointed to find that this unit colors the tone even in this kind of scenario. It's not a huge difference and probably acceptable to many others, but not for me. Would be a diffrent matter if the effect in the loop was just a 'add-on color' effect, like delay or whammy or rotary speaker effect, but this dirt pedal is part of my core tone. Sending the unit back. It's a shame BOSS couldn't find a way to keep the tone unaffected when you're just running your signal through the unit with none of the units effects/preamps active.

Hope the unit does for you what you need.

Good luck in your own usage with this unit.

• Members

Why don't you just run your dirt before or after the gt10? I'm using it in the loop cause it seems to smooth things out a bit but imo it sounded the same when placed before the boss as it does without the boss. Only colored when in the loop

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by kingswebe View Post
Mine arrived last night and I've put a few hours into evaluating the unit, particulatly the tone of my dirt unit in the send/return loop on an otherwise blank patch. Disappointed to find that this unit colors the tone even in this kind of scenario. It's not a huge difference and probably acceptable to many others, but not for me. Would be a diffrent matter if the effect in the loop was just a 'add-on color' effect, like delay or whammy or rotary speaker effect, but this dirt pedal is part of my core tone. Sending the unit back. It's a shame BOSS couldn't find a way to keep the tone unaffected when you're just running your signal through the unit with none of the units effects/preamps active.

Hope the unit does for you what you need.

Good luck in your own usage with this unit.
Are you sure you had it set up right for your rig? It seems like the kind of unit that would have a ton of input/output settings that could affect the 'bypass' tone.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by ambient

View Post

Are you sure you had it set up right for your rig? It seems like the kind of unit that would have a ton of input/output settings that could affect the 'bypass' tone.

I am pretty sure. I went through all the System menus and Patch settings for the patch I had created, and everything looked off to me, except for the send/return loop. The only thing that seems like can't be turned off is the System-level EQ, so I did tweak that to 'the best' it could be for what I was trying to do, but it didn't seem to compensate enough for the tone loss.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by ambient

View Post

I am pretty sure. I went through all the System menus and Patch settings for the patch I had created, and everything looked off to me, except for the send/return loop. The only thing that seems like can't be turned off is the System-level EQ, so I did tweak that to 'the best' it could be for what I was trying to do, but it didn't seem to compensate enough for the tone loss.

• Members

Get a Boss GT-6/8 then, I don't know what's up with the 10 but when I was running the 6 as my main effects unit 4-cables in with my Marshall, my signal was unaffected going through the external loop on the pedal. Never any issue with the GT-6, actually. I kind of miss it. frown.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Lanefair

View Post

If you're not already using it, you could use the amp ctl jack to control a relay looper outside of the gt. Did you play with the send and return levels?

Thanks, yes I experimented with the Send and Return levels.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by TomVanDeven

View Post

Get a Boss GT-6/8 then, I don't know what's up with the 10 but when I was running the 6 as my main effects unit 4-cables in with my Marshall, my signal was unaffected going through the external loop on the pedal. Never any issue with the GT-6, actually. I kind of miss it. frown.gif

No tone coloration potential sounds good, but if it requires use of 4-cable method, I think that removes the option of turning on and off the dirt pedal in the send/return loop automatically via patch settings. I mean, I *could* still turn on and off the send/return loop , but I wouldn't want to turn it off because my amp's preamp would be in that part of the signal chain now.

Archived