The POG2 Organ and OC-3 Bass on my band's new tracks!

arcadesonfire

• Members

And here's the rig:
attachment.php?attachmentid=350209&d=135

My band is just now releasing our first tracks as a duo (a little bit behind schedule. Oh well). After keyboardist/bassist left, we wanted to try it as a duo, so I got the OC-3 to send just the low notes out to a PA, and I got the POG2 to add some more variety. I'd love to hear your thoughts! (and bear in mind that except for a bass synth over the last few bars of the first track, this is all just live guitar and drums--no overdubs, no double tracking)

The bass sound just adds bottom bump. It doesn't sound like a bass guitar here. It's way more lively when i run from the OC-3 to my old Digitech 2112 for tube driving and EQ then to PA, but when we recorded this, i sent the OC-3 straight to a DI box. I was planning to EQ and overdrive it a bit after recording. But we couldn't get any decent overdrive or punch out of it, cuz the only thing that recorded were the fundamental tones down around 100 hz. Ugg... I hadn't even bothered get out of my recording booth and go listen to what was being recorded until it was mixing time. I think that switching to a low impedence signal before EQ'ing/driving it is why we only got the fundamentals(?) Oh well, I think I've learned for next time.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Lanefair

View Post

Good stuff man. I'm using an OC-3 for an acoustic + drums combo. Fattens it right up, but its much better for intermittent finger picking or capo playing IMHO. I've seen a split piezo pickup online (2+4 string split). Would tighten it up even more.

Sweet. Do you have tunes up online? In some of our other new songs, I use my pick on bass notes and middle and ring fingers to play high notes. It makes for a great sound, but then i can't do my fast constant downstrokes. Hope to record more soon!

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Inspector 71 View Post
Are you able to split low frequencies with the OC-3?

Sounds darn good
Thanks! And yep, with the OC-3 "polyphonic" mode, you choose the highest freq you want to be octaved down. There's room for improvement, but it works pretty well. I can't think of any other pedals that do this, but i predict there will be a bunch of them some day--for folks who don't wanna mess with hex pickups and midi.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by goodhonk

View Post

sounds really good! very full, and enough variety to keep it interesting. second one is kinda REMish.

Great to hear!! I wrote the riff in that tune, and even though I had The Smiths "Headmaster Ritual" in mind, you mentioning REM is an honor! They were my first ever favorite band! They'll always mean a lot to me.

• Members

Thanks EVERYBODY. This is all good to hear. If you've got friends who might enjoy these songs, send them the tunes too. Your feedback is really encouraging.... I spend most of my Harmony Central time over on the nuthouse political forum these days, but I learned tons and tons and tonsssss from Harmony Central's amps and effects reviews/forums back in the day. So it's great to hear this from all y'all.

Archived