NSHNVD (Not So Happy New Vinyl Day): Beatles Stereo Remasters Boxed Set

imbuedblue

• Members

I just picked up the Beatles Vinyl Stereo Remasters Boxed Set. I'd been looking forward to this coming out--well actually, I've really been waiting for the mono set--since the digital remasters were announced a few years ago. The tracks sound amazing. The 180 gram vinyl is a plus. And, the book is {censored}ing stunning. But something seemed off about the artwork on the jackets to me. And then, I realized the problem. The jackets are printed direct to board instead of tip-on. The jackets don't feel or look right. WTF?! Yeah, first world problems and all that. I still feel kind of cheated, even considering that I didn't pay full retail cost.

I should've bought a Super Ego instead.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by mhuxtable

View Post

I don't know what that means

Tip-on is the old school style of printing where the artwork is printed to paper which is then folded over and glued to 24pt chipboard shells. Direct to board is where they just print directly onto lighter weight jackets. It's kind of like the difference between a paperback and hardback book. Anyway, the Beatles jackets were direct printed onto really lightweight stock that seems about the weight used for Trident Gum packaging.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by imbuedblue

View Post

Tip-on is the old school style of printing where the artwork is printed to paper which is then folded over and glued to 24pt chipboard shells. Direct to board is where they just print directly onto lighter weight jackets. It's kind of like the difference between a paperback and hardback book. Anyway, the Beatles jackets were direct printed onto really lightweight stock that seems about the weight used for Trident Gum packaging.

wonder if its because they were all in a box set together

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by imbuedblue

View Post

First world problems indeed. Spend more time listening and less time worrying about paper weight and inking methods.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Zappa74

View Post

I don't understand why they haven't remixed the Beatles stereo catalog.

Everyone agrees that the old stereo mixes blow. Get in there, {censored} with them and make them sound good.

When recording to 4 track a lot of mix decisions are made early on during bouncing, so a remix would be nigh on impossible.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Flogger59

View Post

When recording to 4 track a lot of mix decisions are made early on during bouncing, so a remix would be nigh on impossible.

Sure but the Doors remixed all their albums in 2007. Granted, only the first album was 4 track, but there was still benefits to be had.

I'm sure they could at the very least eliminate the hard panned vocals and other stupid choices that plague the Beatles stereo records.

Archived