Best Tube Screamer Type Pedal For The $

Amigo

• Members

I picked up a used TS9 about a month ago for $50 and it's become my go-to dirt. I had a few TS5's and sold them, had the $30 MXR classic OD and sold it, and decided (probably because I read too much here facepalm.gif ) that tuberscreamers and their mid hump weren't for me.

Well, they are. Shows what you get for listening to this place.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo

View Post

I'm also after quality, but I mean, I'm betting the handwired is just as good as a clone of more moneys thoughts?

I don't think most tubescreamer circuits are appreciably different. The green rhino and sd1 may have more grit to them than a ts9, but I'd have a hard time hearing the difference between the stock ts9 and the handwired version. Boutique clones are massive ripoffs in that respect.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Jisatsu

View Post

My favorite tube screamer is the mjm phantom od. Probably a bit pricey, but I really liked mine.

i read only positive reviews of that pedal and purchased one. was too boomy for me, i definitely prefer the standard 808/9 pedals.

• Members

I use a green Rhino but not because it's a TS clone, i just don't get it, its not.
i think it sounds nothing like a TS, maybe its the way i use it though

i think still my favorite TS variant is the Visual Sound version. the Rte 66 or Double Trouble, great TS tone.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by dZjupp View Post
I use a green Rhino but not because it's a TS clone, i just don't get it, its not.
i think it sounds nothing like a TS, maybe its the way i use it though
Uh, it's definitely a Screamer clone. It just has some extra tone shaping options and won't sound exactly like a TS, unless you set it that way. Probably the best bang for the buck OD, IMO. I picked mine up for $80 new at GC.

• Members

No point. Just buy any off the rack Tubescreamer. They're exactly the same. I've owned a ton of the damn things. There's as much difference between two TS9s as there is between a 9 and an 808 or a 7 and an 808. The only one I had which was genuinely different was an original 808 that was surprisingly gainy.

• Members

I have I think Four Og Ts9's one is a DX . I HAVE TO SUGGEST THE FOXROX ZIM HERE!!!

TWO GREAT TS CARDS IN THE ZIM PLUS YOU CAN SWITCH OUT ZIM CARDS , HE has a rat card, a distortion plus card , its like two OD's with a phase voicing switch in between them and you plug in to each side in the order you want, Daves stuff is a must have.

Archived