Want that 'VOX AC-30 clean/ breaking up' u2 sound, on a budget. Pedal? Amp Sim?

enroper

• Members

Hope this is on topic, though it may have multiple solutions...

I'm trying to get the AC30 vox-ish clean, almost about to break up if you strum hard, but clean otherwise sound. Dynamic, is how I would put it. Not really needing the big overdrive sounds people like. Catch is, trying to do this on a budget.

• I got my eye on the Sansamp Liverpool, but it's pricey.
  • Also looked online at the Joyo AC Tone, but haven't seen much on how it sounds clean / slighty overdriven
  • I'm not ruling out low price amp simulators ( I'm recording direct anyway ).
  • Also, i guess a vox pathfinder is only like $100.

Anybody have any suggestions?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Reaganomics!

View Post

Catalinbread CB30/Galileo is another one to keep in mind, but as much as I hate to be a downer that sound seems like such an impossible thing to capture with a pedal into a computer so I'd say go with the Joyo and not sweat it too much since you're just hoping to 'ballpark' it.

that Catalinbread CB30 looks interesting. It's the first one to address 'touch sensitivity' which is the term I was looking for. Not sure if the joyo or the liverpool are responsive like that..

• Members

Former owner of the Crate Palomino/V18 pictured above, current owner of an AC30 and a Tech 21 Liverpool. I really loved the Palomino, but it was not exactly an AC30 tone. Similar, and a great amp in its own right, but not quite an AC30.

Now, I can't speak highly enough about the Liverpool. It's not an AC30, either, but for an amp simulator/pedal it is darn close. I have tried several of the POD series and IMHO the Liverpool comes way closer to an AC30 than any of the AC30 models in the PODs.

In fact, after buying a Liverpool a couple of years ago, just for sport, I liked it well enough to keep around in case my amp ever had any problems. That just so happened to be the case over the weekend (it is blowing fuses, not caused by bad power or pre-amp tubes). I used the Liverpool after my regular pedalboard, just like an amp, direct into the house at church this weekend. A fellow band member who was not in the lineup this week, and is an opinion I trust on tone issues, came up to me afterward going on and on about how he could not believe that I was playing through the Liverpool rather than my amp.

• Members

Get the Joyo anyway. Ridickulous cheap. I like mine. Add a compressor maybe. And maybe an EQ or a sophisticated treble booster with more controls. The Voodoo Labs Giggity? Catalinbread Naga Viper?

That AC30 break up tone is hard enough to get with an amp let alone a pedal(s). But man....what a sound! I got close with a Peavey Delta Blues 1X15.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by plawren53202 View Post
(it is blowing fuses, not caused by bad power or pre-amp tubes).
Are you sure? Did you do the trick where you pull the tubes out and turn it on?

My AC30 was blowing fuses and I thought for sure it couldn't be the tubes because I had just bought them. Turns out I got a dud/shorted out one. I put some old tubes in and stopped using the standby switch (I guess that causes problems for tubes on AC30s?) and all is fine.

Quote Originally Posted by enroper View Post
that Catalinbread CB30 looks interesting. It's the first one to address 'touch sensitivity' which is the term I was looking for. Not sure if the joyo or the liverpool are responsive like that..
I have not tried the CB30 in-depth, but Catalinbread tends to make dynamic pedals that are touch sensitive and sound great though.

The Tech 21 Liverpool, which I have reviewed (

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by enroper View Post
  • Also looked online at the Joyo AC Tone, but haven't seen much on how it sounds clean / slighty overdriven
  • It sounds good - pretty similar to the sansamp, only downside is it's noisier. there are comparison clips out there. IIRC it doesn't have the speaker simulation so sounds best into an amp whereas the sansamp sounds good into basically anything.

Quote Originally Posted by plawren53202 View Post
    it is blowing fuses, not caused by bad power or pre-amp tubes
    Which model is it?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Cirrus

View Post

Which model is it?

It's the CC2. I know the whole crazy routine about the standby switch and never use that. I took it to the shop; after I swapped out the pre and power amp tubes and it still blew fuses, I just didn't have time to mess with it. frown.gif My tinkering skills go only so far and then, for me, it's time to let the pros take over.

Archived