Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Want that 'VOX AC-30 clean/ breaking up' u2 sound, on a budget. Pedal? Amp Sim?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the tonelab LE is a option too imo - and perfect for recording situations.
    Good Deals with: CM1000, Hides-His-Eyes, HeartfeltDawn, Kayzer, kpd78, Neoflox, Sikor, SilenceSketches, Snufkino a. WAWBanks... !!"Sometimes you've got to stand out to fit in."

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by sparkfriction
      View Post

the tonelab LE is a option too imo - and perfect for recording situations.

Seems like a bit of overkill honestly, since I'm really just looking for one amp...
      graphic & web designer / musician / geek ::

design: www.edroper.com
      music: http://facebook.com/pointatob

Originally Posted by warplanegrey

i don't actually know how to play guitar. i play amp.

Comment

the vox pathfinder, as nice as it is and cheap, won't get you that tone unfortunately. i'd rather try like mentioned just a treble booster or something. even with a responsive fuzz maybe like a Lunar Module dlx you could get close ish with the different tone shaping and gain controls.

also have you tried the vox ac30 simulators in like Garageband or GuitarRig 4?
        YᵒᵘOᶰˡʸLᶤᵛᵉ OᶰᶜᵉRobopimp wrote:Chat crüe is srs crüeFor Sale: Ibanez DML-10, Boss TW-1, Boss FZ-2/3Good deals with: Duderanimous, Overwhelmed987, Jules-RM, DoubleBarrel, HotRats, Fusion1, IRG, barney steele, Aaron SS, Urinate Forever, Raintes, crowquill, Blakemore Effects, Aimmar Cair, lefort_1, killthelights, 9720575 (CHUCK!)

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by enroper
          View Post

I think the intro to this song is pretty much the defacto standard of the tone i'm craving.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bo6lKQYVUBU

Really nice tone indeed. Don't know what amp was used recording that, or what guitar for that matter...

But I wouldn't be surprised if he used the Les Paul Deluxe he plays live most of the time. A bold statement maybe, but in this case I'd say the mini humbuckers account for a BIG part of that tone. I happen to own one too, I bet can get pretty damn close to that tone with any good clean amp. And a pricey producer and dito recording studio ofcourse

I know you're already torn between different pedals and amps, but in case you plan on ever getting a new guitar too, you might wanna check out the new Les paul tribute model that's based on the '70s deluxe. Not saying it'll end your tone quest, but still, maybe a cheap AC30-in-a-box won't either

Comment

+1 - a lot of definiton comes from guitar/pickups - Im thinking SGish tone/maybe p90 + midhump overdrive
            http://i50.tinypic.com/kd349u.jpg

Comment

I got a nice little LP special with humbuckers I love the sound of. I know on this tune he played through an AC30, and dammit, I want that tone

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by t_e_l_e
                View Post

i believe a vox ac4 blue would deliver ac30 tones at low volume, but it does not have the 1/4w, 1w, 4w switch and it only comes with a 10" speaker

and with over 300$ way out of budget

I have only demo'ed the AC4 blue, and it was nothing like an AC30 to my ears. I also own the AC4TV and AC15 (sold my AC30) a few years ago.

The little Vox's don't have enough headroom that the AC30 has.
                ******For Sale*******ZVEX SHODanelctro Cool Cat Chorushttp://www.harmonycentral.com/t5/Effects/ZVEX-EQD-Tremolo-midi-pedal-etc/m-p/35322845#U35322845

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by sparkfriction
                  View Post

Carl Martin AC-Tone *hands down*

and/or

-Menatone Top Boost in a Can...

-Lovepedal Englishman... i am not a lovepedal fan, but the englishman seems great for the job...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CW1UoBkMSsQ

View Post

Now I'm really kind of torn between getting a Tech 21 pedal, or spending a few bucks more to find a used little AC4TV and micing that up to at least get the feel of a real "vox-ish" tube amp...choices choices...

No idea how the AC4TV sounds, but I have a Pod XT, Zoom G3 and the Teh 21 leeds and I still prefer to mic up my Champ or Blackstar HT-5 if volume isn't an issue.
                  Cause sometimes the rhetoric don't go with the contents

Comment

If you want the Edge sound, get a fender-ish tube amp and one of these:

http://www.buildyourownclone.com/fetpreamp.html

Easy build, and pushes an amp in a really good way. Makes the sound huge and juicy.

Comment

boss combo drive?

Comment

I experimented last night with the free version of amplitube and their 'copper plate' ac30 sim ::

http://soundcloud.com/ed-roper/epic-vox-delay

Meh. Still think I wanna try hardware instead...

...found a cool little delay sound though with a combination of some VST's though so thats a plus..

Comment

^amplitube is one of the best ampsims as software... but the key to set up the stuff right. Inputgain, master etc. Mic positions etc. i use it only for clean and some br00tz and get the best results with 2 Mics and the right blend between both. But depends all on the virtual setup you build etc. pp. give it more time and anohter try

Edit: the Tone Lab LE was just a idea 'cause you can get one used with your budget. one of my friends plays a tone lab LE - sure you can do soo much, it has programs/patches, lots of sims and effects. the cool thing is the speakersim and direct out IMO - great for playing at any level in any situation and for recording. oh and it is by vox and should get the sound
                          Good Deals with: CM1000, Hides-His-Eyes, HeartfeltDawn, Kayzer, kpd78, Neoflox, Sikor, SilenceSketches, Snufkino a. WAWBanks... !!"Sometimes you've got to stand out to fit in."

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by chrisjnyc
                            View Post

I have only demo'ed the AC4 blue, and it was nothing like an AC30 to my ears. I also own the AC4TV and AC15 (sold my AC30) a few years ago.

The little Vox's don't have enough headroom that the AC30 has.

how did you like it? main focus would be as recording amp... as it does not have 1/4w options practice amp might not work cause the 4w still too loud. is the 10" speaker ok?

Comment

Well, I'm taking a leap of faith and I ordered the liverpool pedal from MF. Called them up and quoted an 18% discount I saw on another site, and they decided to honor it even though they couldn't confirm it, which is awesome of them. Figure it's no risk if I don't like it I'm sending it back and putting the money in savings for a real (small) amp. Didn't want to buy used for that very reason...

Comment

View Post

Well, I'm taking a leap of faith and I ordered the liverpool pedal from MF. Called them up and quoted an 18% discount I saw on another site, and they decided to honor it even though they couldn't confirm it, which is awesome of them. Figure it's no risk if I don't like it I'm sending it back and putting the money in savings for a real (small) amp. Didn't want to buy used for that very reason...

Definitely let us know what you think once you get it. I'm teetering on whether to get one of the AC4 blues or the liverpool or Leeds pedal.
                                Guitars:Fender Jaguar HH, Fender MIJ Jazzmaster, Gibson Les Paul StudioAmps:2 Silverface 1970s Fender Pro Reverbs, Fender Blues Deluxe, Ampeg V4, 80s Roland JC-120Current Main RigFulltone Fulldrive II--> Keeley modded Rat--> Line 6 FM4--> EHX Deluxe Memory Man--> Line 6 Verbzilla--> Roland JC-120Other StuffKorg Electribe, iPad2 (Beatmaker 2, iSequence, Animoog)

Comment

Working...
                                X