Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Want that 'VOX AC-30 clean/ breaking up' u2 sound, on a budget. Pedal? Amp Sim?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think the intro to this song is pretty much the defacto standard of the tone i'm craving.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bo6lKQYVUBU
    graphic & web designer / musician / geek ::

design: www.edroper.com
    music: http://facebook.com/pointatob

Originally Posted by warplanegrey

i don't actually know how to play guitar. i play amp.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by enroper
      View Post

that Catalinbread CB30 looks interesting. It's the first one to address 'touch sensitivity' which is the term I was looking for. Not sure if the joyo or the liverpool are responsive like that..

I have not tried the CB30 in-depth, but Catalinbread tends to make dynamic pedals that are touch sensitive and sound great though.

The Tech 21 Liverpool, which I have reviewed (<- clonk on the link), is a very good choice for what you want to do... you mentioned you want to record direct. While the Catalinbread will probably give you a very solid Vox type tone, it's not really a direct recording device - it lacks a speaker cab simulator, so if you already have something you're using for cab emulation, it should give you the amp part of the equation just fine. If you don't have a speaker emulator of some sort, the Tech 21 might be the better option - especially since it does include a user-selectable speaker simulator.

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

- George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

- Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

- Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by enroper
        View Post

• Also looked online at the Joyo AC Tone, but haven't seen much on how it sounds clean / slighty overdriven

It sounds good - pretty similar to the sansamp, only downside is it's noisier. there are comparison clips out there. IIRC it doesn't have the speaker simulation so sounds best into an amp whereas the sansamp sounds good into basically anything.

Quote Originally Posted by plawren53202
      View Post

it is blowing fuses, not caused by bad power or pre-amp tubes

Which model is it?
      Originally Posted by telephant

Tone is really half the argument. We both know ultimately it means nothing. Write a song. Write. A ****************ing. Song.

UK based band;
      http://www.captainhorizon.co.uk

Comment

Vox AC4. I don't believe in pedals for Vox tones.

"It's all sratched up, Zuzu"Your wattage may vary

Comment

I'm not convinced I believe in the AC4 for AC30 tones.

Tone is really half the argument. We both know ultimately it means nothing. Write a song. Write. A ****************ing. Song.

UK based band;

Comment

I am convinced that the AC4 will not get you AC30 tones but I would not expect it to either.

Comment

I can't speak for the Liverpool, but the Tech 21 Leeds is the best amp sim I've used so far and it responds well to pedals in front.
              Cause sometimes the rhetoric don't go with the contents

Comment

i believe a vox ac4 blue would deliver ac30 tones at low volume, but it does not have the 1/4w, 1w, 4w switch and it only comes with a 10" speaker

and with over 300$ way out of budget

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Cirrus
                  View Post

Which model is it?

It's the CC2. I know the whole crazy routine about the standby switch and never use that. I took it to the shop; after I swapped out the pre and power amp tubes and it still blew fuses, I just didn't have time to mess with it. My tinkering skills go only so far and then, for me, it's time to let the pros take over.
                  My gear list:

Guitars: Epi Les Paul w/ BG Dark Buckers; '06 MIM Fender Strat; '89 MIJ Fender/Squier Tele; '90 MIJ Fender Strat; Seagull S6
                  Amps: Vox AC30; Fender Champion 600; Vox Pathfinder 15
                  Pedalboard: CS-2/Fulldrive II/SD-1/DD-20/DD-5/Behringer verb/Fish & Chips/Ernie Ball VP/TU-2

Mandolin: Loar LM-520

Keys/Synths: Korg Triton; Korg TR-Rack; Roland SH 201; Yamaha MM6; Yamaha DX7; Mac Powerbook w/ Komplete Elements 7, Vanguard; Reaper; Reason; Korg Electribe ES-1

Comment

I'd bet that you had a power tube go and it fried a screen resistor which is a simple fix. Worst case scenario a transformer went bad and you're in for an expensive repair.
                    Good Deals: Hangwire, mhuxtable, Travybear

Comment

Boss Combo drive is by far my favorite. Check out tone @ 4:58. The fact that cost half price of Catalinbread pedal is deal breaker for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJZUU_ZJHzc

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by plawren53202
                        View Post

It's the CC2. I know the whole crazy routine about the standby switch and never use that. I took it to the shop; after I swapped out the pre and power amp tubes and it still blew fuses, I just didn't have time to mess with it. My tinkering skills go only so far and then, for me, it's time to let the pros take over.

Did you change the rectifier? Probably the most likely tube to start causing mystery fuse blowing. Ah well. It's in safe hands at least!

UK based band;

Comment

Carl Martin AC-Tone *hands down*

and/or

-Menatone Top Boost in a Can...

-Lovepedal Englishman... i am not a lovepedal fan, but the englishman seems great for the job...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CW1UoBkMSsQ
                          Good Deals with: CM1000, Hides-His-Eyes, HeartfeltDawn, Kayzer, kpd78, Neoflox, Sikor, SilenceSketches, Snufkino a. WAWBanks... !!"Sometimes you've got to stand out to fit in."

Comment

If the main focus is recording direct, I highly recommend the old blue Tonelab.
                            great spam-related experiences with: shipatsea, partypooper, i51423, XanaduNEX, wwhhaatt, ed_sped2, manchester

Comment

Now I'm really kind of torn between getting a Tech 21 pedal, or spending a few bucks more to find a used little AC4TV and micing that up to at least get the feel of a real "vox-ish" tube amp...choices choices...
                              graphic & web designer / musician / geek ::

design: www.edroper.com
                              music: http://facebook.com/pointatob

Originally Posted by warplanegrey

i don't actually know how to play guitar. i play amp.

Comment

• Working...
                                X