Are lava cables really durable?

Elessar [Sly]

• Members

I recently picked up the little ELC solderless kit and two of the ultramafic cables from that cancer auction a couple months ago.

Like Dr. Picklebottom said, if you put them together hastily, then they will mess up. However, they feel much sturdier than George L's; bigger cable, smaller plugs. I haven't had them long, but no issues so far. About a week after I got my board wired up, I took em all out and retightened (your thumbs get sore after making a few and tools don't really aid the process much so the initial tightening usually is only so so) them. Checked them a week after that and they were all still as tight as they go. I feel pretty confident in them.

The Ultramafic instrument cables are like frickin garden hoses. Huge compared to my old standard Monsters. The end was really difficult to unscrew, but underneath there's shrink wrap and the whole thing just feels sturdy as {censored}. As far as tone goes, there's some slight difference when critically listening and comparing them to my monsters. Maybe a touch more high end sparkle/presence. Is it drastic? No. Will it make ore break your live sound? No. Would you even hear a difference in a band setting? Eh... maybe. Depends on the situation. Metal, no, 3 piece rockabilly with no pedals involved... perhaps. They are nice feeling cables though. Worth $102 for a 15 footer? Man... I dunno. Maybe if you owned a really nice studio.

idn_smilie.gif

• Members

All of mine have been great, the only thing that ever went wrong was the Neutrik silent plug (I've had 3-4 fail) and Dave always replaces them no problem... I would skip those things, that's neutrik's fault, but the soldered lava cables are really nice.

I hate solder less cables though, regardless of who makes them/how well you build them. They WILL fail (I've used lava, bill Lawrence, and George l) now my whole board is soldered lava Elc with switchcraft ends that I soldered myself.

Archived