OT: Why do I like master volume on 10 cleans better than a non-master volume amp?

dkerwood

• Members

Does diming the master volume and using the gain knob for volume do anything differently than not having a master volume at all?

I really like the clean tone on a lot of amps I've tried this way, but I wasn't able to get this tone on my Traynor (non-MV) until I was playing around with a boost in the effects loop.

This got me thinking- Is the Master Volume situated after some or all of the preamp tubes? The "post" moniker seems to suggest it... I assume the MV can only cut gain, right? Wide open is the same as bypassing it?

I'm just trying to figure out why I like the tone of MV on 10 better than similar volumes with a non-MV amp...

• Members

Generally, running a Master Volume all the way up is like having no Master at all.
But also generally, most amps with a Master Volume probably have more gain and distortion available in the pre-amp. Yup, the Master usually is situated after the pre-amp tubes. Master Volume controls, when dimed, do add more gain overall, but it's less distortion than a cranked pre-amp. If you run the pre-amp gain at 10, then run the Master Volume at 2, the Master will not be adding much, if anything, to the dirt mix.
In order to get a Master Volume to add gain (in the power amp) it will always be much much louder, unless you use an attenuator like a Power Soak or Hot Plate. Attenuators are different animals. They hook up between the amplifier output and the speaker itself.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by dkerwood View Post
I'm just trying to figure out why I like the tone of MV on 10 better than similar volumes with a non-MV amp...
Well, they're different amps... so it's hardly a controlled test. Too many other things are different when you're talking about two different amps, the master volume situation is only going to be a small part of the difference.

My AC30 has a master volume bypass switch and it does make a small difference - it's a bit clearer sounding when the volume knob is out of the circuit. But that's because they used a certain value of volume pot which changes the sound even when maxed but gives a nice usable taper. If they'd used a different value pot there'd probably be no audible difference switched in or out.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by LSDis4me View Post
Doesn't your Traynor have a volume and gain knob?

This model?

Hmmmm, no, mine is the 40 watter, and the clean channel only has a volume.

large_ycv40wr-top.png

Interesting, though. I know the YCV40 came first, so maybe the 20's controls reflect feedback from players? I know although the dual EQ controls are nice, I generally end up voicing both channels about the same. I think I'd prefer dual gain controls instead. Too bad the 20 is out of my price range for a smaller amp.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Cirrus

View Post

Well, they're different amps... so it's hardly a controlled test. Too many other things are different when you're talking about two different amps, the master volume situation is only going to be a small part of the difference.

This is true, but I've noticed this across all brands and all amps. Peavey, Fender, Vox, Jet City... and those are just a few that I've tried recently. It's probably just in my head. I'm going to bring my Traynor to a rehearsal this afternoon to see if I can't coax some sweet cleans with a little bigger volume.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Poltergeist View Post
you can get it modded for Master Volume, i think.

aren't Traynors big in the amp modding community?
First I've heard of it. I may have to look into that. Of course, if all it does is insert a potentiometer in the circuit, there's really no point. :-)

• Members

I played with the dirty channel on my Traynor today before rehearsal, maxing the volume and setting volume with the gain. The channel is voiced for quick breakup, which results in a more mid-heavy tone, but it's actually quite nice. I was able to get a nice rich tone with just my guitar tone knob without completely jacking up the EQ knobs. I also got a great tone out of my clean channel.

Part of the problem I was having was due to limitations of volume in my practice room. A 40W tube combo in a 10x12 room with hard floors is ridiculously loud. The rehearsal space is a much bigger area with higher ceilings and carpet. Thus, I could put some juice into the amp and get those tubes working. All the amps I've been demoing lately have been lower wattage (I'm shopping for a grab-and-go combo or head/cab), so they get the tubes rocking before it gets too loud.

Archived