NGD - ESP relic tele content

mdrake34

• Members
Qdf5y.jpg

ESP LTD TE202. They normally sell for $350, always been interested, but a local shop was blowing it out for $200, couldn't pass it up. The neck is great. I need to take it back and get it set up, especially to adjust the pick ups. The neck humbucker was almost flush with the pickguard and sounded like quiet mud. I raised it and got it sounding better, but I still want a pro to adjust it.

Will probably replace both pickups eventually. Might go the cheap route and check out the new GFS professional series, or save up for some dimarzios or SD's. Any suggestions? Maybe even a mini hum in the neck? I like the classic tele bridge sound, and a nice round, but bright neck pickup tone for soul/r&b type sounds. Humbucker might not be the best bet for that, I dunno.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Zappa74 View Post
Those are pretty nice. Kinda wish they made one with out the fake wear on the finish, but whatever.

For $200 that's a score.
Definitely would have preferred no relic finish, but the neck and frets are great, it has a extra cut in the neck joint for better upper fret access, and it has 22 frets, which I prefer. You can't really find those features on comparable squiers/MIM fender's.

And yeah the price was stupid good.

• Members

The more I read, the more I'm leaning towards some GFS. Definitely interested in the professional series 63 tele bridge pickup, but torn about the neck pickup. Could go with the professional alinco II to stay with a covered humbucker, but I'm also intrigued by their mini humbuckers and retrotron/mini-retrotrons.

• Members

Ok, I've been doing some more reading, and I'm thinking two routes. For now, the cheaper route that I want to try is upgrading the pots. I believe they're both 250K, and I've read that I could sub in two 375K Fender pots like on the hot rod tele, or get a 500K volume and a resistor to lower the load to 250K when it's switched to the bridge pickup. I'd like to try this first.

Second, I think I'd eventually like to put a mini-humbucker in the neck. What's a good one? Consensus seems to be the SD vintage that comes stock in the hot rod. Are the GFS mini's any good?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I've decided to hot rod this guitar. I already have an american standard tele for regular tele sounds, so I'm going to put a single coil sized HB in the bridge and replace the pots with 500K. Don't have a solidbody guitar with two humbuckers anymore, would like to have one again. Leaning heavily towards SD lil' 59 tele. Also considering dimarzio chopper T.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Jisatsu

View Post

I've used GFS pickups in the past and while they are an improvement over most {censored}ty stock pickups, they leave a bit to be desired over time. I'd say spring for Seymour Duncan or dimarzios.

Yeah, I think I'm definitely going to spring for the SD lil 59T soon, and I'll see what difference the 500K pots make for the neck pickup. Could upgrade it to a full size 59 eventually. At that point I'll have nearly as much in the pickups as I do the guitar, but oh well.

• 5 weeks later...

Archived