Sansamp Classic: good for low gain OD?

Computicus

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Reauchambeau

View Post

I have an original, I'm a bass player.

it has a bass setting and allows a lot of tone shaping, you will definitely need an eq to add some bottom end because it's lean in that department.

I was afraid of that. {censored}e. I play flatwounds too so i've got a lot of lows by default. Maybe i'll check out the CM-2.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by goodhonk

View Post

here's the one i sold. i believe the reissue will say classic on it.

IMGP0356.jpg

Thanks! The new ones that I see on eBay don't have markings on the face next to the power plug that say "DC". The older ones listed don't say "classic" on them. The one I'm looking at has the "DC" markings, but also has the "classic" label...

Maybe a later issue of the original?

I don't necessarily have to have the original first issue, I just don't want to get screwed! icon_lol.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Computicus

View Post

Tech 21 is selling them on their site? Unless that's some new reissue that looks exactly the same?

Well, I think the one I'm looking at is a reissue that happened earlier than the current issue that's currently available. Look at the new version. It doesn't have "DC" next to the power jack. Plus it's quite a bit more expensive to buy new.

Thus my conundrum.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Computicus

View Post

Tech 21: "If people will pay that much for the original, we should charge the same amount for the reissue!"

facepalm.gif i feel you.

It's funny really... The one I used to have died after about 10 years of heavy use. That was about 5 years ago. I bought it used back in the day for probably 60 bucks or so. I just really connected with it using it to demo songs for my band, and it was easy to get a sound with it that I really liked.

Nowadays, they go for stupid money probably cuz Kurt Cobain used one. I really have a problem with re-buying pedals for stupid money that I used to have and had bought for nothing... Oh well though. I miss it.

I really can't blame Tech 21 though. It makes business sense.

• Members

Not a bass player but and avid fan of the Sansamp Classic. I got mine way back when the company (Tech21) just started. Here's a clip recorded (all instruments direct) using the original SA Classic.

Yes I know in the Tonefinder description it says Marshall JVM. They make you fill in some info before you can post and Sansamp wasn't and option. One of my other amps is a JVM.

http://www.tonefinder.com/index.php?...id&value=12159

• Members

I think they were always kind of pricey (but a good value for what they are) so relatively speaking I don't think the new ones are more expensive. i also don't recall them ever actually goingout of production, but I could be wrong on that. Also 60 bucks for one even back in the day was a screaming deal. I've had my eye out for one since the early nineties and I think the cheapest I've ever seen was 175.00

Archived